SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
I am not chemical engineer and I have come to understand epoxies and composites later in my life so I can't give you a reasonable critique of epoxy resins used in 1964.
I can tell you that I own a Tartan 27' from 1967 that is still quite sound of hull and a 14' day sailor that is from circa 1950+ that are both in pretty good shape. All the non-fiberglass parts are the ones needing the most attention, IMHO.
In the 1960's engineers did not know how to rate the strength of fiberglass composite laminates. Therefore they made them thicker then they do nowadays. There have been many breakthroughs in this technology over the years that have encouraged boat makers to skimp on the thickness of the hulls they produced starting around the mid 1970's.
Older boats require more TLC (perhaps) then some newer ones. They now make 'barrier coat' epoxy resins that can be applied to hulls that are designed to extend the life of an older boat. One of the biggest enemies of FRP/GRP (fiberglass) hulls is water intrusion (aka, blisters) but a good barrier coat job can extend the life of an old hull for quite a while in years.
I would love if you could rescue an old 'plastic classic' but I will not advocate that you do so. You need to be as well informed as you can.
That said, you should check out this website (lots of reading material): Yacht Survey Online: David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor
as well as this one:
BoatUS.com: Don Casey Library
among others you may find by just using a search engine on the web.

One answer is that epoxies are better in more recent as scientific/engineering standards have been perfected but another answer is that they just do not build stuff like they used to.

Feel free to avoid or heed this advice.
Welcome to Sailnet where with every 5 sailors there are at least 7 opinions.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.