SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take advantage of the internationalship of Sailnet.

In my country, you need to have a sailing license in order to skip a boat.

There are different levels of licenses:
- PNB is a very basic license. I don't know exactly what it allows you to.
- PEE: Allows you to sail boats up to 12 mts (40 ft) to a maximum of 12 milles away from the shore.
- PI: Allows you to sail boats up to 20 mts (60 ft) to a maximum of 60 milles away from the shore.
- CI: Allows you to sail any non professional boat in any seas.

In order to get these licenses you must pass several written exams and take some practical lessons on a boat. It sounds reasonable to an extent, but in reality it is almost useless because, at the end, what we sailors know, we know it because we realised that there were many things we needed to learn before adventuring in the seas. Obviously, I don't mean that anyone should go sailing without learning first. I just think that everyone has to procure his/her own sailing skills, adequate to the intended sailing, and that a compulsory license is of no help (at least, in my experience).

I am under the impression that very few countries regulations as strict as those and I would like to know to what extend my impression is accurated.

So I will appreciate your comments on how things are in your Country.

Cheers!

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Without taking paying passengers aboard, there is no such licensure requirements in the US that I am aware of.

In order to get these licenses you must pass several written exams and take some practical lessons on a boat. It sounds reasonable to an extent, but in reality it is almost useless....
The State charges a fee for this, yes?? I'm sure that alone would make such a scheme VERY important to them!!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Not in the USA... unless you're skippering a boat for money... then you do need a USCG ticket... :D Most states have little if any requirements for boaters, whether power or sail, beyond taking a very rudimentary boating safety course. However, recently, some states have instituted "boating licenses" of a sort... so it is slowly changing.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Not in the USA... unless you're skippering a boat for money... then you do need a USCG ticket... :D Most states have little if any requirements for boaters, whether power or sail, beyond taking a very rudimentary boating safety course. However, recently, some states have instituted "boating licenses" of a sort... so it is slowly changing.
Yes, and even those very limited requirements are being phased in, i.e. they only apply if you were born after a certain date. So the vast majority of current boaters were "grandfathered", meaning exempted from the rules.

Harvester, I think the intent of those rules in your country is to improve safety at sea (or, cynically, to generate revenues for the government). But I tend to agree with you that they really only place a regulatory burden onto something that is already happening anyway, through the normal course of developing experience.

My favorite example of pointless government meddling was the state legislator (here in the U.S.) who was out motor boating and nearly hit a kayaker because she did not see him. She decided to introduce legislation that would require all kayakers to display a bright orang safety flag on a mast/pole from their kayaks. The legislation actually gained serious momentum, because after all better visibility was clearly in the best interest of the kayakers.

It took some effort for kayakers to get organized and educate the legislator that carrying a flag on a mast/pole would prevent them from recovering when they roll over. Which would cause them to drown.:eek:

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Never mind that there are already rules/laws for this situation... something about keeping a proper watch... which she violated. I'm pretty sure that the kayaker didn't pop up out of nowhere, since kayaks don't go that fast.... and it was, more than likely, the legislator's fault for being unaware of her surroundings. Stupid freaking bureaucrat with her head up her butt...
Yes, and even those very limited requirements are being phased in, i.e. they only apply if you were born after a certain date. So the vast majority of current boaters were "grandfathered", meaning exempted from the rules.

Harvester, I think the intent of those rules in your country is to improve safety at sea (or, cynically, to generate revenues for the government). But I tend to agree with you that they really only place a regulatory burden onto something that is already happening anyway, through the normal course of developing experience.

My favorite example of pointless government meddling was the state legislator (here in the U.S.) who was out motor boating and nearly hit a kayaker because she did not see him. She decided to introduce legislation that would require all kayakers to display a bright orang safety flag on a mast/pole from their kayaks. The legislation actually gained serious momentum, because after all better visibility was clearly in the best interest of the kayakers.

It took some effort for kayakers to get organized and educate the legislator that carrying a flag on a mast/pole would prevent them from recovering when they roll over. Which would cause them to drown.:eek:

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
First, you need to open a HUGE can of worms ....... then wait for the fire works to begin .........

LOL Just kidding

·
Siren 17
1,984 Posts
I'll only add that the no license rule is for boats under 65 foot in length. About 21 Mts. Beyond that you need a license.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Washington state has a license requirement that is slowly being implemented for those that have pleasure craft with motors over 15HP, IIRC. I should lok this up, as it is going in how old you are, when required based on decade you were born in. If currently over about 70, you will be exempt for ever. Currently I believe that 20somethings and under need the license.

A pretty basic online question and answer, once you have it, you have it. There may also be a requirement that you take a basic class from CG, PS or equal to initially take the test too.

Guessing that other states at some point in time in US may very well take up this type of license. Reality is, the US is IMHO "WAY" behind Europe in what is required to to skip a boat.

As the fire is fed by more fuel!

Where is my popcorn and beer!?!?!?!?!?!

marty

·
Registered
801 Posts
Colorado has a mandatory boater safety course...

For anyone 16 and under.

Everyone else however, is exempt. If it is anything at ALL like the mandatory Hunter Safety course... then, well, it's a waste too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
NJ has a boating license requirement. It started some years ago allowing people under 18 to operate boats by themselves. I got that license when I was 12. Later they extended it to PWCs after some incredibly stupid PWC accidents. Most recently they made it mandatory for all people born after 1970 (or some year around there). Unfortunately for me, my original license had long expired (and was thrown out) by the time the most recent rule went into effect. As such, I cannot legally operate a boat in NJ alone anymore. I have since moved to FL, but it is kind of a pain when I go back to visit my family.

The license is obtained through a 4 hour course which is completely worthless, especially for anyone with any kind of boating experience. I think it would be worthwhile for a new boater to sit through, but other than that is a big waste of time.

FL to my knowledge only has a safe boater course if you are under a certain age (maybe 18 or 16) but I don't know much about it.

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
The license is obtained through a 4 hour course which is completely worthless, especially for anyone with any kind of boating experience. I think it would be worthwhile for a new boater to sit through, but other than that is a big waste of time.
Not for the guy that has a contract from the State to give the courses!!

Even though volunteers at Power Squadron or USCGAux will do it for $20 or even FREE!!

·
Splashed
572 Posts
Washington state has a license requirement that is slowly being implemented for those that have pleasure craft with motors over 15HP, IIRC. I should lok this up, as it is going in how old you are, when required based on decade you were born in. If currently over about 70, you will be exempt for ever. Currently I believe that 20somethings and under need the license.

A pretty basic online question and answer, once you have it, you have it. There may also be a requirement that you take a basic class from CG, PS or equal to initially take the test too.

Guessing that other states at some point in time in US may very well take up this type of license. Reality is, the US is IMHO "WAY" behind Europe in what is required to to skip a boat.

As the fire is fed by more fuel!

Where is my popcorn and beer!?!?!?!?!?!

marty

Not all countries in Europe require that you have a license. Here in DK a license is NOT required if the boat is less than 15 m in length (50'). However for speedboats, a special legislation has been made, requiring a license, due to some terrible accidents. I don’t think it has helped, though, as it seems that the drivers of those often only have half (or less) a brain. Personally I like it that way, and although I do have a certificate of competency, some of the best sailors I know do not, and I don’t want to impose it on them.

Burn, fire, BURN! :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Here in West Australia in the last two years they introduced compulsory recreational boat licences for everyone, which includes a written (theory) exam and a on water practical test. If you have already owned a boat for the last five years you were exempt from the practical test, however everyone had to pass the written test and get at least a 75% pass mark.

I have seen that the majority of yachties passed no problems. Most people with sail boats take the time and effort to learn and so the requirement was'nt really needed. Where it has helped is with all the power boats. I've lost count of the number of times I have seen power boats do silly or dangerous things, and a lot of the time they are endangering others. At least now everyone has to know the basic rules of the way and safety requirements.

Ilenart

·
Registered
98 Posts
Canada

Canada is phasing in a requirement, extending to everyone next year, for a PCOC, Pleasure Craft Operator Card. It is a very basic written test focused around safety and ColRegs. No on water testing.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I'll only add that the no license rule is for boats under 65 foot in length. About 21 Mts. Beyond that you need a license.
That doesn't sound quite right. A launch operator with a 30-foot launch needs a license, at least a limited one. I thought any sailboat with auxiliary propulsion machinery needed a license (like a 6-Passenger one) if carrying pax for hire. So does the dive boat capt on a 28' powerboat.

If you carry 6 or fewer paying passengers, then the 6-pack license works, and the boat can be uninspected. 7 or more, and the boat, regardless of size (I think) requires a certificate of inspection, and the capt needs a license for inspected vessels.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For the record, in Washington State.

They call it Mandatory Boating Saftey Education.

2008 - 12 to 20 year old
2009 - 25 yrs and under
2010 - 30 yrs and under
2011 - 35 and under
2012 - 40 and under
2013 - 50 and under
2014 - 59 and under
after 2014 - required for all born after 1-1-1955

One time $10 fee.

The online course at BoatUS is listed as satisfactory.

See Washington Parks Department online for details.

·
Siren 17
1,984 Posts
If you carry paying passengers then you need a license. Even if it's in a row boat. If your not carrying paying passengers or doing commercial work then you don't need a license unless the boat is over 65 foot on deck. This dosn't apply to state regs. It's a federal regulation.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts