SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across some interesting flow meters with the ability to display total water used. They are typically used to measure how much water has gone through a water filter. But it's easy to recognize an even better use for them.

We have 1,000 liters in 4 separate tanks. Currently, I switch to the smallest tank last, as it tells me that it's time to get a water fill-up. It would be nice to know how much water we've used and how much we have left.

Is anyone using a flow meter on their boat.

Digital Electronic Water Smart Flow Meter for Garden Hose Watering 3 4inch FXM | eBay

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: JBSNSW

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
The similar looking (and priced) ones on Amazon have terrible reviews, including reports of failures where they start to leak. The idea seems sound, but for anything related to water I'd want for it to be high quality. I'd also want to know that it is safe for drinking water, and this one and the other garden specific ones don't seem to be.

Here it is on Amazon:
P3 P0550 Water Meter - [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41qd5j2nPeL

This is a similar one with even worse reviews:
Amazon.com: AbsolutelyNew Water Saver Usage Meter: Patio, Lawn & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31EYtk1%[email protected]@[email protected]@31EYtk1%2B-8L

·
Old soul
4,919 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,004 Posts
I've been looking into flow meters for several years, but hadn't found these, thanks.
The major problem with most inline flow meters is that they require a large diameter 3' run of pipe to get the flow rate right. That just wasn't practical in our engine room. I'm not wild about going to garden hose fittings in my pressure water system, but it would be nice to monitor consumption. Guess I'll have to order one and see how it goes. More stuff to monitor, err.

·
Registered
539 Posts
A Jeanneau 45 we had in our charter fleet had a flow meter with a display at the electrical panel. I assume it was factory installed but I never had occasion to investigate the unit itself. It seemed to work pretty well; you zero it out when you fill the tank, and it counts upward as water is used (in this boat the display was in liters), so as long as you know the total capacity you have a pretty good idea of how much you have left.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts