SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Eko- agree about the snow. Leaving the villages today as have business deal to close tomorrow in the snowy north. . Came down to help family needing surgery in Tampa. Was pissed off dealing with Floridian logistics but now more centered.
Wallet hub just declared Florida #1 place to retire. There's good reasons for that. Average temp 72, more coastline, very diverse Eco systems.
Ignore my rant. Have no hate for Florida. That would be counter to reality. Still, for now not on the bucket list.

·
Captain Obvious
2,325 Posts
Let me summon Capt Aaron back from wherever he is-

Capt Aaron on Florida sailing

"I can't imagine how any where compares to the year round, clear warm water, subtropical Fla. Key's and S.W. coast of Fla. Every where else is seasonal and short at that. The secluded lagoons, the desserted beaches, the Dry tortuga's, the Everglades and it's rivers. Key west, it's history and culture. Not to mention the cool little wharf Bars, live aboard freindly anchorages. The fishing, the only coral reef in the states,. The laid back attitude of the locals. The mangrove creek's, the mom and pop boat yards and marinas, the palm tree's. It's close proximity to the bahama's and mexico. The swimming year round in clean clear water, the spear fishing, diving with out a wet suit, the good holding and well marked channels night and day. It's Americas Caribbean. The S.W. coast with it's calm waters and big deep bay's, sun rise and sun set views from many of the anchorages. The Marqueses, Boca Grande, the Back country.................................... .......The 10,000 island area, Biscayne bay, Elliot Key, Miami Beach. Big Pine Key and it's tiny deer. Little Palm Island. Did i mention the clear warm, easy to read water, shallow anchoring, 3 foot tide....

.....Coconut Grove, The back bay's of key largo, Isla Morada and the anchorage there, the turqoise lagoon at sun set. The basically east winds at northern most edge of the trades. Predictable weather which is alway's some form of warm and balmy. One million places to duck in from a squall....12 months 24 seven sailing in water that begs you to dive in and grab a lobster for dinner, swimming with dolphin and sea turtles the manitees..... "

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
As my wife would say about Fla. "To many old people go there to die..." Having spent a number of years attending a certain aviation university and some military time in Fla.s 'Panhandle' area I enjoyed my time cave diving north Fla.'s springs where most have never experienced of what's under Florida..thinking all there is sand and palm trees ..

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Tell your wife that old people don't go to Florida to die - they go there to PARTY! :) I should know. The younger folks go there to party as well, but they can't afford to stay for more than a couple weeks, then they go back home to a school that their mom and dad are paying big bucks for them to attend.

When I performed at Marathon Key at this poolside tiki bar, the age of the audiences ranged 55 to 75. And, they tipped very well.

When I performed at this seaside restaurant for the younger set, tips were a lot less, but the eye candy was better.

As I type this, the old folks are finishing a late breakfast, and figuring out where they'll be partying and dancing this evening, while those of us stuck up here in the frozen north try to determine if we'll have enough income to pay the heating oil bill next month. ;)

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't understand why the above comments are somewhat derogatory about Florida. I moved here over two years ago from Colorado, bought a 24 ft. boat with a dingy for about $1,000 and have been living aboard it ever since. And loving it! The sailing is nice year around because we have constant land/sea breezes almost every day here on the west coast of Florida in the many large bays from Tampa south to Fort Myers. If you go out into the Gulf it is blue water sailing. Good fishing, lots of activities on land every day, boat registration renewal for older (antique) boats of 30+ years is only $8.50 for two years! Beat that with a stick! Perhaps it is because we already have so many live aboards that the other commenters are hoping to scare away such folks, I don't know. Who wants to pay the Bahamas $150 or maybe more for a six month stay?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I can't understand why the above comments are somewhat derogatory about Florida. I moved here over two years ago from Colorado, bought a 24 ft. boat with a dingy for about $1,000 and have been living aboard it ever since. And loving it! The sailing is nice year around because we have constant land/sea breezes almost every day here on the west coast of Florida in the many large bays from Tampa south to Fort Myers. If you go out into the Gulf it is blue water sailing. Good fishing, lots of activities on land every day, boat registration renewal for older (antique) boats of 30+ years is only $8.50 for two years! Beat that with a stick! Perhaps it is because we already have so many live aboards that the other commenters are hoping to scare away such folks, I don't know. Who wants to pay the Bahamas $150 or maybe more for a six month stay?
Most of the angst against Florida or anyone wanting to live in Florida has nothing but about the state but mostly about themselves... they are envious, jealous, retracted that they are not there... that they can't be there due to their own conveyance... When I was in Montreal two years ago I yearned to be in Georgia more wished I were in West Palm Beach at my parent in laws house enjoying the warm sunshine and instead was waist deep in snow and below -10 deg.... NEVER AGAIN will I go to the northern states to live or work unless a company wishes our engineering services.

Many here such as Gary and others know which one they prefer but obligations force them to what they have and where they live such as I... I would move now if I could to southern Florida even if it meant Stuart, Jupiter, or Boca Raton... very nice places to live and own a home... expensive but that is neither here nor there... if it is 10% more to live there fine... no personal income taxes... that's a bonus... we pay dearly here in Georgia... to boot it gets as cold here as North Carolina/Virginia but at least not the snow accumulations they get. Either way if you see no reason to like Florida for all its faults fine but some of us love the state, all it has to offer... I think to top it off I'll start a new thread:

"Is Maine or the Northern States all it's cracked up to be... is anyone sailing the Northern waters NOW?" ;)

My view today... and temps are 64 degs but at least no snow! :captain:

Attachments

·
Captain Obvious
2,325 Posts
I imagine Florida is pretty good from a sailboat, especially the Keys, but on land it looks ( really) ugly and anything to do, or anyway to get on the water there is someone with their hand out fleecing you for $$$$, cheap developments, swamps and highways. You cant get away from it.

As I said, if you are on a boat, or in the lower keys it is great but I wouldn't want to live in Florida. Where I live I can walk to the NYC Metro, but live next to a forest park with trails, lakes and waterfalls, there is a whole landscape and culture mountains, rivers . 90 minute drive to LIS,......deep history.. great cheap restaurants and venues with great musicians and yes the cold weather sucks but it will be over in 2 months, whereas Tampa will continue to be hideous for the rest of the year. But, its what you make of it, what you want...

First google image for Hudson Valley -

First Google Image for Tampa-

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Same could be said for any city along the coasts.

Here is Key Biscayne, Florida and who wouldn't want to be wrapped around this or the Florida Keys areas and even up the coasts towards Melbourne?

Of course you forgot to mention the other part of the Hudson, New York areas such as these lovely places like Manhattan and the greater New York City areas:

If it wasn't for Central Park... I'd be gasping for air!

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Just left Tampa yesterday. Virtually no boats in the water. Cold. Damp and miserable. Mid eighties in windwards and leewards. 10-20. Sunny. Dropped off mother in law at the Villages. Drive was super slab, flat and boring. Now in Orlando airport. Drive was 80 mph getting buzzed on both sides. Haven't had a healthy good meal since here. Will hit whole foods/ trader joes as soon as we get back.

Which one would you chose?

Son n law lived in marathon for awhile. No question some of the best fishing on the mound but then you come back to land.

Think it's just like boats - different folks different boats. All good. Mother in law was constantly singing the praises of the Villages. For me it would be like having died but not be buried. For her it's the best thing since sliced bread.

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
I imagine Florida is pretty good from a sailboat, especially the Keys, but on land it looks ( really) ugly and anything to do, or anyway to get on the water is someone with their hand out fleecing you for $$$$, cheap developments, swamps and highways.

As I said, if you are on a boat, or in the lower keys it is great but I wouldn't want to live in Florida. Where I live I can walk to the NYC Metro, but live next to a forest park with trails, lakes and waterfalls, there is a whole landscape and culture mountains, rivers . 90 minute drive to LIS,......deep history.. great cheap restaurants and bars with great musicians and yes the cold weather sucks but it will be over in 2 months, whereas Tampa will continue to be hideous for the rest of the year. But, its what you make of it, what you want...

First google image for Hudson Valley -

First Google Image for Tampa-

Yup, first photo is my back yard! Second photo, well not so lovely. Nice place to visit during a couple of months in the winter, but would not want to live there! Plus you can be at a Broadway show in an hour and a half, with no parking issues. Same with the finest museums in the world, not just a "good one." Yes I now there are some fine art museums in Florida, but they are really easy to access in NYC. Want any ethnic food, it is there and affordable. Mark of Sea Life spent a summer in the US, where did he choose to do that? Florida, no he did it in New York. I have lived in several cities and find New York the best. But could be happy most places in the North East. I can go hiking, hunting, fishing, all in a short drive (or walk out my back door as there is good hunting and fishing within easy walk) or jump on a train less than 5 min from my house and be in the city enjoying the top culture city in the world. Jealous of those in Florida, not a chance even when there is two feet of snow on my boat. Jealous of the warmth, perhaps a bit but than I just look out the window at StormKing mountain and it fades very quickly. The worst is tax time, buy hey nothing worthwhile is easy!

Will I always feel that way, well I am only 50, so I still have lots of working years left. But when I decide I don't want to shovel snow I am sure Florida will be a stop off before jumping across to the islands, unless as Outbound said I jump off further north. Summer in Florida no way would rather shovel snow. I work with several folks from Florida and they say the same thing, perhaps when there bones hurt from the cold they will go back south.

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
Just left Tampa yesterday. Virtually no boats in the water. Cold. Damp and miserable. Mid eighties in windwards and leewards. 10-20. Sunny. Dropped off mother in law at the Villages. Drive was super slab, flat and boring. Now in Orlando airport. Drive was 80 mph getting buzzed on both sides. Haven't had a healthy good meal since here. Will hit whole foods/ trader joes as soon as we get back.

Which one would you chose?

Son n law lived in marathon for awhile. No question some of the best fishing on the mound but then you come back to land.

Think it's just like boats - different folks different boats. All good. Mother in law was constantly singing the praises of the Villages. For me it would be like having died but not be buried. For her it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Yea, I never buy sliced bread either! :laugh

·
Boat Hunter
48 Posts
One thing FL has are state parks like these?

Just saying, you can't post a pic of Tampa and call it representative of the entire state anymore than you could snap a pic of Bakersfield or Arvin and call it California.

:wink

·
Boat Hunter
48 Posts
Reactions: guitarguy56

·
Boat Hunter
48 Posts
This photo is of the Tampa Pirate Fest... as MarcStAug mentioned it is not representative of other Florida areas or even Tampa during regular days... Every city has an event like this or other... we have St. Patrick's Day in Savannah that basically makes our small town into a standstill and yes it is ugly too!
LOL I hear what you're saying but, with all due respect, that's a little overly broad. Not every city in FL has those type of events. Lots of nice small towns where life is easy and unhurried still. Big metro areas? Hell yeah! Traffic, tourists and taxes.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
LOL I hear what you're saying but, with all due respect, that's a little overly broad. Not every city in FL has those type of events. Lots of nice small towns where life is easy and unhurried still. Big metro areas? Hell yeah! Traffic, tourists and taxes.

:cool:
Misunderstood... Every city in the U.S. has events either like this or other activities, parades, festivities...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gary, we moved from Key Largo to Marco Island & Love it here. It's only 84.5 nautical mile to Key West. Have to sail down to Marathon & hear you or your band. Cost of slip in our gated marina is about the same as a mooring ball in Boot Key. It's a great place to spend our winters.

41 - 60 of 182 Posts