SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is Florida all its cracked up to be?

31K views 181 replies 51 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 ·
Is Florida all its cracked up to be?

I live in southern Oregon on the west cost. Sailing here is not easy by any means. Weather is on the cooler side and seas are choppy. But we do it.
I would like to spend more time on the water than I can here. I would love to try living aboard, but for now I am only able to devote about month a year to the sea.
So I believe for a budget minded person, Florida offers an incredible amount of opportunity. It would be great to have a boat in the 30 footer range and they seem to be affordable there. But I am thinking the upper 20s (27) with a retraceable keel maybe the bees knees for us. I own a northwest 21 now and love it.
:boat :

#76 ·
Keep in mind there is a significant difference between the east and west coasts of Florida when it comes to weather conditions, and the keys are altogether different. Usually, during summer, the temperature and humidity are a bit lower on the east coast and keys. I always love it when I'm in the keys during the summer and some local is in the grocery store complaining how hot and humid it is. This is when it's 85 degrees with 40 percent relative humidity. At the same time, it's 95 degrees with 100-percent humidity at home in Baltimore and the surrounding burbs.

Someone mentioned something about bugs, mostly mosquitoes in the Keys. Never saw one in the winter down there, I guess because that's the dry season. At home, in Maryland, there are places along the Chesapeake, especially in the lower bay, where the combination of mosquitoes, marsh flies (black flies) and greenhead flies make it impossible to sail because you are constantly being bitten. Because of this, I actually constructed a screen enclosure for the cockpit.

Years ago, in Chincoteague Bay, VA, the mosquitoes were so thick that you couldn't take a deep breath without swallowing a flock of mosquitoes. Most of the keys are desert islands, no fresh water at all, therefore, no mosquitoes. However, there is the infamous palmento bug (big assed cockroach) that will get your undivided attention, especially when you happen to step on one while walking at night. UGH!

Another fun day in Paradise,

Gary :cool:

#77 ·
Think what people are referring to in different ways is the increasing fragmentation of US society with a continuing disappearance of the middle class.

I grew up in Manhattan. To me Boston, SF, Miami etc. are all towns. I made a decent buck working but there is no way I could afford and enjoy the lifestyle of a Manhattanite now. I did one year of training in Brooklyn. I lived on montague st. I paid 75$/month. That railroad flat sold for $1.4m when the building was made into condos. Same in Boston, Miami, where have you.

Response the same the world over. Englishmen go to Portugal. Americans to Mexico, Central America and the islands. Just can't enjoy the lifestyle they want to enjoy in their home country. The places continue to exist but they are priced out.

#78 · (Edited)
I have a fond feeling for Florida and the area I grew up in and no other place in the country will give me the warmth West Palm Beach and it's vicinity have given us... Sailing was out of this world... sure it wasn't blue water sailing, but just the same enjoyable for the locations we visited... relaxed and as much fun as sailing the Keys or other locations in Florida without going far.

I am fond of Palm Beach and if you ever get your hand on a copy of Addison Mizner's Florida... you would know how Florida on the east coast was cultivated to its famous roots.

His view of how Florida was to look like is the reason many flock to Florida and the surrounding islands... Sure many will never have this lifestyle but many live in Florida and enjoy the waters, modest homes, and the sailing rights like any multimillionaire...

I know some members here threw out some architectural wonders of stuff they designed... Perhaps they can relish on Mizner's architecture and how his vision in the development of the City of Boca Raton and homes throughout Florida (mostly Palm Beach and Miami).

http://www.bocahistory.org/mizners-dream/

Attachments

#79 · (Edited)
I know some members here threw out some architectural wonders of stuff they designed... Perhaps they can relish on Mizner's architecture and how his vision in the development of the City of Boca Raton and homes throughout Florida (mostly Palm Beach and Miami).

Boca Raton Historical Society | Mizner's Dream | Boca's Addison Mizner
I'd rather dwell on real Miami architecture - like Morris Lapidus. When I first got my license I worked for a wonderful older architect named George Silverman (he had a vacation house in Palm Beach) who had worked for Morris Lapidus in the late 60's. I worked for George around 2000 - Morris was in his 90's ( he died in 2001 ) then and my boss was amused that after being made into a laughingstock for many decades his old mentor was experiencing a major comeback as his work was being recognized by new generations - work such as the Eden Roc. and the Fountainbleau.

Here - you can read about him MorrisLapidus

#82 ·
Outbound, the biggest problem the middle class has in the People's Republic Of Maryland is taxation, which continually increases to the point where they can no longer afford to live in the homes they purchased 40 to 50 years ago. My real estate taxes are now 20 times higher than my mortgage payment was when I still had a mortgage, which was about 20 years ago. Additionally, Maryland's last Governor, Martin O'Mally, the presidential candidate, raised or instituted 44 new taxes during the 8 years he was Governor. And, he touts that as being constructive, and forward looking. Yep! That's good ole Martin O.

I suspect that in the major cities such as NYC, where people expect to pay huge sums for a crackerbox apartment, those prices are largely driven by the huge amount of taxes the owner are forced to pay on those tiny parcels of land. I know that one of my editors who once resided in Boston in a tiny, stone home was forced out by taxation and eventually moved to Boca Ratan, FL. Last I heard he was a real happy guy to be able to put the majority of his salary in his pocket instead of putting it in the pockets of Boston's money grubbers.

All the best,

#83 ·
That is nice Sal... but this type of Art Deco Russian looking architecture was never to my liking... Yes it has a following of interested archetypes in this type of architecture all along Miami and other cities along the east coasts of Florida.

If you notice Mizner's architecture along with architects Marion Sims Wyeth, Maurice Fatio, and Joseph Urban all whom are notables in Palm Beach/West Palm Beach society then you'll get an understanding of the Mediterranean, Italian, and Florentine classical nature and this is what is copied but never duplicated in homes throughout Florida and surrounding states.

I'm sold on Mizner and his work and will be one of the homes I purchase in Florida when that time arrives. ;)

In the meantime we'll have to settle with our home here another several years. :)

Attachments

#84 · (Edited)
Gary first order relatives have owned houses and condos in south beach Miami, on water just south of lauderdale and now in the villages. There was a reason for the housing bust in Florida.
When you do a spread sheet looking at ownership/living total costs comparing states yes there's a difference but not all that much. For instance my house ( to be sold) is fairly green. We get checks back quarterly and have no electrical bill. Nor do we pay for our well water nor septic except every 5 y pump out. Have AC but it's never run. Mother in law with floor plan 1/3 the size plays more to run her house. There's a reason for the at it again in Florida thread.dont see one for other states.
Condo in Miami was a money pit. So expensive to get work done. Also if they don't get you on one tax then they get you on another. If you don't spend on heat than its AC.
Surprisingly, compared to other first world countries our tax burden is below average. Both corporate and household. What pisses me off is how they spend it and divergence from initial libertarian principles. Politically don't see any grown ups in the room on either side. Hope Bloomberg runs if only for a third party to come to fruition. ( don't like his gun policy but at least he's not playing to the stands).
Gary you love your life and it's in Florida. God bless. You seem to be a good guy and Florida is the #1 state to retire to. Still like any place there are pluses and minuses. For now think you can't beat New England in summers and eastern carribean in winters.

#86 ·
That's all nice and good humor on Seinfeld and there is no other bigger fan than I... but really this comedy has nothing to do with REAL ESTATE in Florida... Sure many seniors and retired folks move to Florida but so do many other types of people young and entrepreneurs alike.

Definitely not the Costanza's buying a condo in Del Boca Vista estates. ;)

#87 ·
I agree about the eastern Caribbean for winters - really loved that part of the world when I was there for an extended period of time. Had some incredible dives, got to know some really nice people, but the same was true for Marathon. Anyplace warmer than here right now would be wonderful. Going down to 15-degrees f here tonight. However, you can have New England in the summer - just not my cup of tea. :)

All the best,

#88 · (Edited)
Gary come up to New England. We have fiords, , eagle on cliffs down to gorgeous waters, a harbor every 10-15 miles, great shellfish and fishing, incredible culture and history, great food and wonderful winds. You can still anchor in small natural bays and be out of the weather and waves. Truly a sailors paradise in the summer. Been here sailing nearly 4 decades and haven't seen the half of it.
Best thing is if your feeling lazy it's a daysail harbor to harbor. Given prevailings are southwesterlies usually can sail there and sail back. Early on had a cape dory. When it came time to pull for the season engine overheated. Sailed off the mooring, go cruising and sail back. Exhaust system was fouled by mussels.

#89 ·
Been there lots of times, mainly fishing out of Mystic. I used to write for the New England Fisherman Magazine and was frequently invited by the editor at that time, Tim Coleman, to fish offshore with him. We managed to catch lots of tuna, big bluefish, and some decent tautog on nearly every trip. If we came in after sunset, the skeeters would eat us alive. Of course, it's that way here in certain parts of Maryland as well. Same winds all summer long here, southwest, mostly 5 to 10 MPH, but some days they're a bit stronger. I enjoyed Mystic, but not nearly as much as the Florida Keys - just could never get over those swaying palm trees, sugar white sand, turquoise colored inshore waters, azure blue waters just 5 miles from the beach, and incredible fishing. Things like that just really draw me in - maybe I'm just gettin old. ;)

All the best,

#92 ·
I think this thread will be answered by two distinctly different sorts of people. Those that knew Florida back when and those who have only recently (1980 and later).
Back when, it was a pretty hospitable place for residents and visitors alike. There were few regulations for boaters and even the Keys welcomed cruisers with few charges and no prejudice.
Then the 'got mines' moved in to South Florida and the Keys and everything changed for the worse.
Liquordale became Ft. Lauderdale and kicked out the spring breakers without developing another industry to support the locals so the area quickly became a wasteland of greedy money grubbers seeking only to line their pockets at the expense of everybody else.
It used to be you brought a big yacht into a boat yard for repairs, maintenance or upgrades, your custom was appreciated. Not any more. The state wants to tax you and the yards want to move you through on a production line without a lick of customer service. Paying a quarter million dollar bill for 2 weeks in the yard and instead of a thank you it was, "We need you to move the boat off the dock as soon as possible." Dude, the stew wasn't even back from the market yet!
The Keys were overrun by these types and everything that made the Keys attractive began to disappear. ROGO ordinances were tossed in favor of unrestricted building and anyone without deep pockets became unwelcome. No anchoring here, no access to shore there became the standard and money, money, money became the God of South Floridians, especially in the Keys.
Sure the weather is nicer than up north and the water is really pretty, but the hospitality and friendliness are long gone, unless you have the money to pay for them.
Sorry, rant over.

#94 · (Edited)
I don't know Capta... you may be right on some of what you mention and maybe it is just the times... Sure Ft. Laud clamped down on the partying along the coast and the general ruckus most of the college students have been doing for years along the strip... Hell I was one of them too... but times changed and 'Porky's' style of fun is no longer appreciated there or really anywhere... so they moved up to Daytona which soon they will realize it's not what they want and the partying will move to another less fortunate city in Florida.

Regarding the marine services maybe true maybe not? I have not had the fortune to visit the marine shops lately in Florida to have this unfriendly welcome at the service of any vessel... but I do know my father-in-law has and I have not heard of this get'r in get her out mentality you mention. Agree that all marine service have a role to make the required repairs at a cost and move the vessel on for the next repairs in line... doesn't all marine service shops anywhere in LA, Seattle, Savannah, Maine, what have you do the same? Why just Florida? Agree with the anchoring laws, ordinances, etc. but you have to admit most of those are generated by the abandoned, derelict, non motoring, half sunken boats, etc. that line the beaches, shores, coves, etc. of Florida and YOU BET if I was a homeowner and had to endure some of this from my yard I'd be the first to call the authorities as would anyone of you...
People are always diggin' into your pockets... whether it is the businessmen of Florida or the politicians in the northern states... no difference... one is elected and the other is not!

Forgot... You mentioned: 'I think this thread will be answered by two distinctly different sorts of people. Those that knew Florida back when and those who have only recently (1980 and later)'. But I beg to differ my last visit was last Christmas holidays to West Palm Beach to my parent-in-laws estate... we visit twice a year and sometimes 3 times a year based on my mother-in-laws health so it isn't a visit wayyy back when from the 80's to Florida. Next visit is in a couple of months and I'll be sure to mention the 'unfriendly service and no gratitude' to my in-law and see what he thinks. ;)

#93 ·
No doubt that some parts of Florida are nice. We've vacationed on Anna Maria Island many times and enjoy our time there. Laid back beach vibe (though it can be busy and crowded), no high-rises and more bungalow type homes, easy access to the Gulf, warm water, great weather.

But it's hard to *live* in a place and stay isolated from the rest of the state. Despite nice spots in Florida, the majority is overdeveloped, ugly, flat, congested, endless strip malls, ... Cross the bridge from AMI to the mainland and there it is. So while one might find a little sliver of paradise somewhere, I'd have a hard time calling the state my home.

As the OP is coming from Southern Oregon, and I have lived in Oregon and Washington, I think he'd be in for a huge culture shock on many different levels if he up and moved to FL without ever having been there. They are very different places.

#96 ·
My only experience with a Florida marine service marina were outstanding. I was in Stuart, FL when my packing gland began looking like a fountain and the A4's water pump decided to take a dump. I called a friend and fellow musician that lived in Stuart and he told me to go to Manatee Marina and gave me the name and telephone number of the owner. I called, they had no open slips, however they made room for me at the travel lift dock.

They did not have the parts in stock to replace my A4's water pump, so I ordered it from Moyer Marine in Rock Hall, MD and had it shipped two-day express. Two days turned into 4 and when it arrived, they had a nice young man come to the boat and install it. He also was skinny enough to crawl into the lazerette and take care of the packing gland, and did an excellent job with both and quickly completed the work in less than two hours. I was shocked when I got the repair bill - it was just over $100. I asked what were the charges for staying there for five nights, they said "no charge - you were here to have work done, we didn't have what you needed, and we were glad you stayed and had us do the work." I gave them an extra $100 when I left and told them to order some pizza and beer for everyone at the marina at the end of the day. I was quite happy with the service and the attitudes of everyone involved.

All the best,

#97 ·
My only experience with a Florida marine service marina were outstanding. I was in Stuart, FL when my packing gland began looking like a fountain and the A4's water pump decided to take a dump. I called a friend and fellow musician that lived in Stuart and he told me to go to Manatee Marina and gave me the name and telephone number of the owner. I called, they had no open slips, however they made room for me at the travel lift dock.

They did not have the parts in stock to replace my A4's water pump, so I ordered it from Moyer Marine in Rock Hall, MD and had it shipped two-day express. Two days turned into 4 and when it arrived, they had a nice young man come to the boat and install it. He also was skinny enough to crawl into the lazerette and take care of the packing gland, and did an excellent job with both and quickly completed the work in less than two hours. I was shocked when I got the repair bill - it was just over $100. I asked what were the charges for staying there for five nights, they said "no charge - you were here to have work done, we didn't have what you needed, and we were glad you stayed and had us do the work." I gave them an extra $100 when I left and told them to order some pizza and beer for everyone at the marina at the end of the day. I was quite happy with the service and the attitudes of everyone involved.

All the best,

Excellent example and first hand knowledge that what others are hearing is some grapevine heard it from a friend who... well you know the rest... (sigh)

Glad it turned out to be a great experience for you Gary and know that not everyone is out to 'get ya'... this mentality that only Floridians are somehow all crooks or the businesses out to rob you... but little do they mention 3/4 of the population today in Florida are transplants from NORTHERN STATES? Um Okay... who are we kidding here?

#98 ·
You guys are going about this all wrong............

The OP hasn't checked in recently, but..........

Florida is full of giant bugs, old ladies in Continentals, nobody has a job, a loaf of bread is $14.00 and a CCW could shoot you dead for looking at them wrong. It's too dangerous, too hot, too cold, too old, too expensive and down right deplorable. You are much better off staying put up north......................:laugh

#100 ·
With nearly 20 million people and a land mass that stretches more than 400 miles, there is a Florida for whatever you want to be.

Looking to hide from the world? The Keys. Are you a good old boy with a rusty old pickup truck and a rifle in your window? Head north. Prefer a Latin lifestyle? Go to Miami. Family-oriented? Orlando and lots of suburban cities. Rich? Palm Beach to Fort Lauderdale.

Like smaller beach towns? Go to Southwest Florida. A young, hip city? St. Petersburg. A small-town lifestyle? Head inland. Prefer Southern living? Go up around Jacksonville (or South Georgia, as it's also called.) Got money but don't like New Yorkers? Head to the areas like Naples and Sarasota.

Point is, if you've lived here a long time, as I have (40 years), you know that it is impossible to generalize about the state. It is diverse beyond belief, not only by race, but also by attitude and political beliefs. If you're not tolerant of everyone else's choices in life, there's something that will befuddle or irritate you almost anywhere.

On the other hand, I think enough of you have moved here already. :) So focus on the bad stuff. Especially if you plan is to buy a junk sailboat and squat in one of our anchorages ...

#101 ·
I've had the opportunity to drive the entire state of Florida, and interestingly, the north/central part of the state resembled much of north/central Maryland with rolling hills, streams, forests, and very rural. I was amazed to see this in a state that most people consider flat - flat it's not! That mainly applies to the coastal areas and southern regions.

Now, as an old codger I really enjoy flat. It's a lot easier to ride my bike on, easier to walk on flat ground than up and down hills, and at 75 and counting, easier is a good thing. Keep in mind that Florida is a huge state, much longer and wider than most folks dream of. It's a hard day's drive from the Florida/Georgia border to Key West, and that's doing 70 MPH most of the time. From Miami to key West is 151 miles, however, the roadway has really improved since I was stationed there in 1958. Back then I would swear the bridge railings were nothing but 2X4s and US Route 1 was a very, very narrow road. When a big rig was coming at you it seemed as if a head on collision was inevitable. You could almost smell the paint burning when you passed each other. It was that tight.

Fortunately, most of those old bridges have long since been replaced, but traffic jams during the winter months, especially from Key Largo to Islamirada are still commonplace. No traffic jams in Hawk Channel or the ICW on the Gulf side of the keys, though, and lots of neat anchorages along the ICW.

All the best,

#104 · (Edited)
Right on Gary... Florida has many interesting features few know unless you lived there for some time... Ocala which is horse country is beautiful with rolling hills, deep green pastures... My wife's aunt has a 280 acre blueberry farm in Palatka just 35 minutes east of Gainesville and it is simply outstanding as you'd never know you were in Florida, deer, turkey, wild birds, wild boar, etc. When it rains they have a field where the Indian arrowheads wash up and it's incredible enough that the Univ. of Florida conducts field studies of the inhabitants before the Spaniards explored the area back in the early 1500's.

Travel towards the Everglades and everything changes... When I worked at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft the road to it was called the Beeline Hyway... namely because there was nothing out there but the Loxahatchee Wildlife Refuge and the only location to put a secured facility for government research (turbines, rocket engines, Sikorsky Helicopters, Star Wars laser research, etc.)... The place was in the boonies till the late 1990's in which development crept up to it's gates... Same with Military Trail... west of this road was barren forests and swamps... now it is developed all the way to Lion Country Safari which again was out in the boonies of Palm Beach County... I remember going out to Royal Palm Beach when it was just a small town for the dairy farmers but has grown to a metropolis for the rich/affluent. The same scenario is throughout Florida's small cities but there are many untouched small towns full of the ways of yesteryear and we drive through them on our way to West Palm Beach to avoid going down I-95... it's called Route 441.

Wonderful state and one I'll never give up from cherishing and hope to come back to her one day. :)

#105 ·
Those old bridge railings weren't 2x4s...they were the old railroad tracks from the original overseas railroad.

Florida is really 4 different states.

From just north of Orlando all the way to the state line, its really south Georgia/Alabama.

The central part is a mix of old timers, cattle ranching, citrus, agriculture, tourists, and Puerto Rican transplants.

The south east is mostly New England transplants and other retirees with a huge number of Latin Americans. Makes for interesting cultural melting pot.

The South West part is a lot if upper Midwest transplants and snow birds.

#106 ·
IMHO, both Oregon & Florida are truly fantastic places. Vastly different Climate wise, both are uniquely seasonal - best sampled in diametrically balanced proportions. Choice of Mt. St Helens vs. Cat IV Hurricane(s) mixed with sunscreen, string bikinis & ripe avocados under palm trees, It all weighs in. Balancing these may require some compromise, best sampled with Sky-Miles card / or an interstate chaffeurs license. Truly nothing beats a mid-winter ocean swim in FL, Keys ( Enjoy this without a wet suit ! Only exception would be an August dip in W. Coast Pacific inlet beach to bolster appetite for Dungeoness crab washed down with an ice - cold beer.1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.