SailNet Community banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I never used fuel meters on my diesels...I just tapped the tank and called it a day

just run your outboard a few times in different conditions...

you can also just rig up a little tank and run it till it dries out...time it, and that way you dont have to wait so long...

like said before most outboard range anywhere from .25gph to more than a galon if the conditions are right

for the most part all my outboards even small ones have been more fuel guzzlers than any diesel inboard I have had...especially at cruising rpms

also SOME ATOMIC 4´S are absolute FUEL HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no matter what you try

my last one was like this, but I still loved it

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have found on my boats that twin cylinder outboards have more low end torque than singles for the same HP. Very small 4-strokes like 4-6 HP singles struggle to keep up with the 2-strokes and don't get any better gph than the 2-strokes unless just putting along. My older 2 cyl 4-hp Johnson was just as powerful (In real world conditions) as a friends 6 hp 4-stroke and got just as good gph while cruising along. Once you get into the more powerful multi's like 8-10 hp the 4-strokes begin catching up and at lower throttle openings can really get better gph than the 2-strokes.

Kevin

21 - 22 of 22 Posts