SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Advanced beginner
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my efforts to turn my friends into sailors have failed, I've been trying to make more sailing friends, which has proved especially difficult during covid. Seems like a good way to meet people would be 'beer can' racing locally, but I've had trouble finding my way on a boat as newbie crew. I tried to joint the women's regatta on the Chesapeake this summer, but failed to get on a boat.

What's the best way to go about this, do you think? I thought a women's race might be easier, but lack of experience and networks still seems to be a problem.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,667 Posts
I don't consider beer can racing worth the trouble because it's really not going to teach you anything you can't learn without racing. But what you will find is a bunch of posturing rule benders which is very appealing because guys are just naturally competitive.

What is really fun about racing is learning how to navigate a course because the boat has to follow the course rather than the course be made by the captain, and there's something very rewarding about rounding a boy floating in the channel River or Bay and some are quite large.

I don't know how long it will take for women to start frequenting sailnet again it's been very quiet for a very long time. On the other hand, there's social media. I'm in a couple women's groups, one of women on the Chesapeake and there are hundreds maybe thousands of members with numerous posts everyday and night. I hope to slowly start inviting some of the ladies here but they do love the social media aspect for women sailing

To actually get on boats to race I would look at some yacht clubs and if you're close to Annapolis Ask around, pick up copies of spinsheet magazine you can find it online too, and don't be shy pushing yourself onto a boat so to speak because it's rare that you will be invited.
My boat is on the Eastern shore near Chestertown I don't know that I'll be looking for crew this spring or not she's a hunter 34 I can single-hand her but I've only had her out once at the end of the season. Hopefully things will be better in the spring but, I'm not getting any younger & every day is a battle with physical energy.

Oh it's kind of deflating when you show up to a place where you know they're racing you have ur seabag racing gloves and sunglasses and you're basically invisible to everybody. Sometimes I think they want to test and see if you'll be persistent enough to show up a couple three times it's just easier to go in your own boat do your own thing imo

Reactions: emcentar

·
Advanced beginner
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Which are the best social media groups for women sailors on the Chesapeake? I'm pretty indifferent on racing to be honest, I just want to meet people who like sailing and racing clubs seemed like a good entry point. Starting out on social media is also fine.

I realize I just caused drift in my own thread, and the title should now read, where are all the cool women sailors hanging out? But be honest, I'm actually indifferent to whether my new sailing friends are men or women, as a gay urban professional Gen Xer I'm just looking for any group open to sailors like myself, in DC I'm a dime a dozen but socially the Chesapeake sailing community doesn't look much like me so I feel on uncertain footing.

·
Registered
Bristol 29.9
379 Posts
Which are the best social media groups for women sailors on the Chesapeake? I'm pretty indifferent on racing to be honest, I just want to meet people who like sailing and racing clubs seemed like a good entry point. Starting out on social media is also fine.

I realize I just caused drift in my own thread, and the title should now read, where are all the cool women sailors hanging out? But be honest, I'm actually indifferent to whether my new sailing friends are men or women, as a gay urban professional Gen Xer I'm just looking for any group open to sailors like myself, in DC I'm a dime a dozen but socially the Chesapeake sailing community doesn't look much like me so I feel on uncertain footing.
I joined Women Who Sail: Chesapeake on Facebook when we spent the summer of 2020 in Cambridge, MD. I’m still on it (even though we typically spend our summers in New England) and it seems quite active.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts