SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we even dream of such a future? No more tedious bottom cleaning or uppity bottom cleaners? Sign me up!

Next-generation nonadhesion technologies;

"The challenge is to keep barnacles, algae and other marine organisms from sticking to the submerged gates. To keep these unwanted guests off, the gates are coated with Bioclean, an anti-fouling material developed by Chugoku Marine Paints.

Bioclean is a silicon-based coating with a structure of alternating hydrophilic and hydrophobic materials. "Any adhesive cements secreted by marine organisms slip off, if they ever manage to attach in the first place," explained Kenji Yokogaki, manager of the company's offshore project marketing department."

Nonadhesion technology:Yogurt lid licking be banished- Nikkei Asian Review

Reactions: scubadoo

·
Registered
24,847 Posts
I can't tell if this is a product you apply to a surface or is a manufactured surface itself.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I can't wait!

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Just remember that if you try it and it's not successful with marine growth, you'll NEVER get traditional antifouling paint to stick again.

I'll let you guys try it first. ;)

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
I surfed around their web site for a bit and it looks like the product line they are marketing to recreational boats is SeaJet.
Innovative technology | Seajet

·
I don't discuss my member
2,673 Posts
CMP Bioclean appears to be a silicon-based foul release coating. Nothing new here as there are other similar coatings already on the recreational boating market, most notably the Interlux Intersleek 900 product line (although Interlseek is a Teflon-based product.) These products do not eliminate fouling, simply make it more difficult for fouling organisms to attach. All currently used foul-release coatings still require periodic cleaning, typically even more frequently than their metal-based brethren.

The fact that Bioclean can only claim 500,000 sq. meters currently coated means it is either extremely new or not widely accepted.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
If it only lasts 2 years, how do you re-paint? I doubt it can be over coated without complete removal, even with itself.

Pointless for most of us, if that is the case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.