SailNet Community banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
GOOD ON YA!!!! You are approaching it the correct way (my point of view)!
When we were looking for a boat we were working and a ways away from, and a long time from casting off. We thought over the idea of a larger (40 +/-) boat, but were inland at the time. We were worried about getting it to the sea if I was laid off. We thought about a small trailer sailor. but if we got laid off we would not be able to finance a larger boat without a job. :|

We settled on a trailer-able boat that could also circumnavigate. Worked GREAT for us. So far we have sailed lakes, the west coast Seattle, then from the San Francisco Bay area down through the Sea of Cortes and mainland Mexico. We have trailed back to the Bay area, then to New Orleans (and returned to the Phoenix area a few times) and sailed the West coast of Florida. Getting ready to head out to the Bahamas soon.

A side note, we have had 4 serious offers to trade straight across for boats from 36 to 41 Ft. STILL love our boat. You can see some of our adventures on our WEB pages and Youtube pages. And 5 DVD that are for sale.

DO IT with a plan!! :cut_out_animated_em

Greg
Right now we are looking at something like a C&C 24. Something we can trailer up to the San Juan's and BC and still be able get around on our little reservoir as well. :svoilier:

RJ

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dream! I hope. I am about to move aboard. Planning to keep two of the rental houses and a storage unit for precious items to enjoy when I am too old to cruise. If the health holds out, I may travel on the boat for 20-years.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Dream! I hope. I am about to move aboard. Planning to keep two of the rental houses and a storage unit for precious items to enjoy when I am too old to cruise. If the health holds out, I may travel on the boat for 20-years.
GOOD ON YA!!!!!!
Sounds like a great plan. Se ya "out there".

Greg

·
Registered
12 Posts
My sailing and navigation experience that last for 8 years now, is really a dream come true. Not only do I enjoy in sailling but every aspect of it, from hanging out with my friends, spending quality time with my family, fixing boat problems and the satisfaction that I feel every time I am on the sea. There is no better hobby that includes physical activity together with the social component :)

·
Sailbad The Sinner
20 Posts
After many years working for others delivering and running their boats in my thirties I will be starting my first "cruise" in 14 days!!! I will report back. If its not all that i hope.. then i have to seriously rethink my future.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great thread! (Second time reading it!) Been lurking here for a couple of months and only registered last week, otherwise I'd post a couple of photos of our boat.
Treas and I are 61, met 10 years ago on Match.com after bad previous marriages before. Married 5 years ago and after years of creating a self sustainable property and teaching others to do it, we looked at each other and asked if we were happy...

Both of us have long histories of blue water sailing. we've wanted to cruise wince we were 3'tall. LOL! But we weren't interested in off shore, we wanted to gunk-hole coastal (ICW, Sea of Cortez, San Juan Islands and North)... SO we bought a 26' Chrysler Swing keel so we could trailer it to where we want to explore (Standing head room and MANY features only found on larger boats.) It's been sitting in our driveway untouched for two years! :(

We just unwrapped it this last weekend, building a tent so we can do more work and hopefully heading out next spring.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Richard & Tresa

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK, here is an update.
We moved on board in May 2016. We worked furiously for two months to make the boat safe enough then left the marina.
We have meandered from Santa Monica bay to Mazatlan with many stops along the way.
Our weather experience is benign. We experienced two near gales and were becalmed several times. We sailed north into the Sea of Cortez with steep quick waves and a 20-30-knot headwind.
We have anchored in several beautiful places and a few marinas. We have stayed in Mazatlan to get new refrigerator boxes, compressors, etc. We also made some cosmetic improvements.

The sight seeing, SCUBA diving and meeting new friends has been wonderful

I can report that is really is a dream.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
lunch break here and found my own post here! LOL! (I forgot!)

Well, Tresa and I did fix up the boat. added a manual windlass, new anchor locker, new electrical, 200 watts of solar and more.

We took off in July and spent a month cruising the San Juans, and the Canadian Gulf islands.

We made a short video, but can't post because of copyright issues (I'll have to fix that).

On our last night at anchor (we did visit marinas abut always LOVED anchoring (especially with a new oversized Mantus!!! LOVE that anchor! We were anchored in a bay where 30 knot winds came through. a lot of boats around us were dragging, but even after being there for several days, spinning around and never re-setting, we held fast!)

Well, on our last night at anchor, we decided to sell the boat!

We decided we wanted to live aboard and coastal cruise as indefinitely as possible! We've gone through many boats, starting off with an S2 9.2 CC, but after touring one, we learned the difference between perception of listing photos and reality... It was just too small. We wanted to stay at 30', but decided to look at the S2 11 CC... Loved the boat, but learned there were only 60 made... Looked at quite a few others and then found the Irwin 37 CC MK V... not a very well built boat, but we learned it's week points and I can do a lot of the work...

We're leaving for Los Angles after Christmas to check out a few... Unfortunately, they're all older (pre-1980 and not the MK V... VERY different aft cabin layout... PS: If ANYONE has one of these boats (From Ventura to San Diego, we'd LOVE to tour your boat!

So we fell in love with living aboard. (This was our second 1-month stay on Dayenu) but realized that if we were going to do it full time, especially at our age and appreciative of creature comforts, we just needed a bigger boat.

Guess that's it for now. Wasn't planning to post, but I thought someone might appreciate the before and after thoughts of living on a boat as small as ours... It actually worked out well, but the gymnastics getting into and out of the V-Berth just didn't cut it for us... We want something that feels more like a "home"...

Thanks!
Richard

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your'e so welcome!
Lots of other emotional "stuff" that goes along with all of this... I was the "lead" on the bigger boat idea, but Tresa has taken my place. She's now more ready to do this than I am! LOL!

I liked the mentioning of not selling the house, having an exit plan etc... but the thing I've noticed in myself is massive depression here on land... I just don't "belong here"... The other side is leaving for good, is scary as many mention, hence, not selling the house...

It's weird talking with friends who either thought we were nuts just going up north for a month in a small boat (the vast majority), and others who envied, but don't want to talk about it (Facing us as a mirror to their own lives and forcing them to ask themselves why they're not following their dreams (boat or otherwise), coupled with living in a land locked area, doesn't' leave a lot of people to share this stuff with.

I see people living their day to day lives, going to work, paying the bills, mowing their lawns, leaving the store after work with a 24 pack of cheap beer... day after day? Whew... Especially watching Tresa dealing with her very aging parents (They both fell down yesterday and She had to drive over and help them... They know they're at the end of their lives, and so does Tresa... maybe that's why she's become more dedicated to this dream? I've read so many threads, here and other sites with people asking if they should "go"... The vast majority of replies are always supportive with "If not now, then when"? (We both believe in this motto for everything in life...) Still, it's hard just writing this here... Regardless of the fact that we only have the here and now and any of us could go out for milk and get hit by a truck... (not negative, just the reality of our mortality... so really, if not now, then when?) ;)

I've done the "sell it all to leave to see the world and so has Tresa (When we were younger)... hard to come back to "nothing", but reflecting back, deep down inside it was just hard "coming back"...

OK... I think I'm just rambling here, but looking up and seeing the title of this thread, it seems to fit... I think there's a lot to discuss and explore here in this thread and not just the simple: sure, go out and try it... what do you have to loose?

Going to Los Angeles on Monday to deliver and assemble a complex prototype model for a client. Plans to meet with a dear sailing friend who's also a yacht broker. She's always laid out the 'truth", so I'm hoping to spend a few hours with her at our favorite taco place and talk about all of this...

I need to get back to work, but there's an alarm from the office computer to the studio in case I get an important email from a client... I guess my notification about this thread was important enough for me to share a little more, so, I figured I'd share a little more.

Best,
Richard

·
Registered
11 Posts
Done anything differently? Well there were many beginners mistakes I would take back. On the other hand these very mistakes taught me how to do better. :) I would say I pretty much enjoyed the whole way. On the other hand I have never done any serious boating relating screw up (like giving all the money for boat that isnt worth it etc.).

61 - 71 of 71 Posts