SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if mooring in the raritan bay is free. I would be in the South Amboy area. Does anyone know? Is there any place I can find out? Thank you in advance.

33' boat

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The only mooring field I am aware of in Raritan Bay is behind Sandy Hook at Atlantic Highlands and not free. The East end of the Bay at the Amboys is probably controled by the Port Authority, but I have not been to that end.

Try one of the marinas in Keyport.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
You might try contacting the RBYC or the local USCG to be more specific about what you're looking for. There are a number of special and general anchorage areas, but as usual in the northeast states, you don't want to drop a hook or tie up without knowing exactly what you are getting into.

From the charts, I don't see any mooring fields (which are usually privately operated) but there are four anchorage areas (44, 45, 46, 47) available to you. The first two are closer in but smack in the middle of traffic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might try contacting the RBYC or the local USCG to be more specific about what you're looking for. There are a number of special and general anchorage areas, but as usual in the northeast states, you don't want to drop a hook or tie up without knowing exactly what you are getting into.

From the charts, I don't see any mooring fields (which are usually privately operated) but there are four anchorage areas (44, 45, 46, 47) available to you. The first two are closer in but smack in the middle of traffic.
Yes, the areas I was talking about are in the middle of traffic. There are 2 boats mooring there now. One black sailboat about 40' and a barge. I think that might be free.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Mooring? Or anchoring? Can be a big difference. Big steel mooring cans are often set by a port authority for commercial use, and you'll need permission to tie up to them.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "free". Most harbors on Long Island are controlled by the local harbormaster and you must have a permit to drop a mooring. Even if there is no permit required, you still have the cost of the mooring and cost of having the mooring set, and need a way to back and forth to your boat. There are a few boaters in our harbor (which doesn't require permits) who keep there boat on a mooring of their own and launch a dinghy each day from the town ramp to get to their boat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts