SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya,

1977 orion S&S 35 sloop.

I just removed a few thru-hulls to replace some rotten old seacocks. They are flush mount. Looking through the service yard catalogs, I can't find any that match my specs. The ones I removed look OK with just a little thread wear in the center. But, there is some red coloration. Can I re-use these?

Cheers,
Gil

·
Registered
991 Posts
I wouldn't

I would leave em if they are not showing signs of trouble. Then again I am cheap. It would be cool to have marelon thru hulls though!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
If they are bronze and show reddish or pinking, it usually means they are dezincifying...and will not be safe to re-use.
Heya,

1977 orion S&S 35 sloop.

I just removed a few thru-hulls to replace some rotten old seacocks. They are flush mount. Looking through the service yard catalogs, I can't find any that match my specs. The ones I removed look OK with just a little thread wear in the center. But, there is some red coloration. Can I re-use these?

Cheers,
Gil

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks dog. Do you by any chance know of a manufacturer that has other than standard sized flush mount thru-hulls?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
What are the measurements of the through-hulls. :)
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks dog. Do you by any chance know of a manufacturer that has other than standard sized flush mount thru-hulls?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Nope, we're protected as an endangered species... :)
I would have thought they might test on some of those rabid sailingdogs running around a bunch of marinas!

PS. BITE ME, you bastardo sujo. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Cam. Can we please leave my liberal claptrap references in the off topic list? ;)

I tried Groco. No fit. My hull is already beveled, but my thru-hulls are um unique... The guy at the yard said I should go with mushroom heads and fill the void with sealant. Sounds daft to me. Whattaya more experienced persons think?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the measurements.

Flush mount.
inside dia: 1 1/2"
thread dia: 1 5/8"
(no surprises there)
Flange dia: 2 7/16"
flange height: roughly 2/8"
roughly 2/8" on the 45 degree flush angle
again with the 2/8" from the 45 angle to the pipe.

hell, does that make sense? I am so ready to be in the know.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I keep searching and searching but, no go with matching measurements.
my hull is countersunk to 2 1/2" but all the flush thru-hulls out there have a 2 7/8" flange. Does there exist in the universe a counter sinking tool designed to expand my mounting holes to a sweet 45 degree angle? Google is failing me. I'm tired of living on the hard. help me!.

Sounds like an Aerosmith song. "Living on the hard"

·
Swansea, MA
98 Posts
Gil,

Why not use a router with a ball bearing - 45 degree chamfer bit? It may not be perfect since you have to follow the hull, but it will be pretty close.
If you wanted it perfect you have to make a templet for the router out of a peice of plywood, shim and hot glue it the hull - making it perpendicular and centered to the hole.

Patrick

·
Super Moderator
6,762 Posts
Clean

Gil,

Clean the old ones up with a brass wheel on a drill or grinder. If there are no pink spots and they are a traditional bronze color re-use them..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts