SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Sailnet Vendor
170 Posts
Mast up storage is a great compromise between convenience and expense, if you can find a location that’s close enough to good sailing. It adds only about 15 minutes compared to a slip. Around here, mast up storage saves about $100/ month compared to a slip, provides access to the marina water, guest dock with water, wash down station after sailing, etc. it saves another $100 month in diver and bottom job expense (if you don’t do it Yourself). So mast up storage is at least $2400 less per year than a wet berth.

Rinsing off the galvanized trailer when you rinse off the boat is a must. Hosing off the trailer adds only an extra 2 minutes to a the rinsing job I’m already doing, the job of rinsing salt off the boat, deck hardware and sail cover.

We currently store our trailerable trimaran in a wet slip, but we have kept it in mast up dry storage in the past. The slip is good because I sail it frequently without skilled crew. In order to stay in our budget, I do the bottom job myself every other year. I use micron 66, which is expensive paint, but it lasts 24 months in the water with a gentle diver taking care of it, and can be trailered. When our last kid is out of school, I will happily pay somebody else to sand and paint the bottom!

Is it worth it to keep in a slip? That depends.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Hey,

I have had 4 boats insured. The insurance company never asked for a survey.

Barry

Mast up trailer storage is on my list of ideas for sure, about 1/5th the cost. Then I lose the convenience of having a boat in the water to chillax on though.

Bigdog, the marinas require insurance, insurance requires a survey. Insurance surveys are the biggest scam going in the marine industry, especially on boats this size.

Maybe I will try shopping fot insurance companies that don't require surveys.

·
Barquito
3,469 Posts
I doubt people have too much boat damage in slips, but, I always thought a mooring was more 'healthy' for a boat. There is nothing to run into, and the wind is always in the correct direction to continuously ventilate the boat (with the proper cowl vents).

Our slip must be 4 times more expensive than a mooring. It's 5 times better.
That describes the situation perfectly. For me, the expense of the slip would cut too far into the boat budget.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
292 Posts
So...to respond to some thoughts discussed here:

"Loud partying marina folks"...Our marina is sailboat only with the occasional trawler and like a National Park, we love being there. Very quiet. Never in it's existence has there been any theft from cars or boats.
https://regentpointmarina.com

We feel safer with the boat inna slip when we are away as folks are always looking out for each other there, and it makes having our boat be a true "cottage on the bay" even if we don't go out everyday. Lot to be said for electric, water, facilities, not having to load and unload by dinghy. No boat has ever been sunk or significantly damaged by storms there as well protected.

Costs are all over the map and are based upon your locations. You can see the costs for us based upon Interlude's size on the marina website. We have a very full life outside of sailing thus we choose to pay for some services that we could do. To have our boat winterized, engine serviced, hauled, power washed, stored in yard for winter, hull prepped, sanded, painted, and retuned to slip sets us back a little over $100 monthly on a 12 month basis. If ever became a real problem would skip dinner out a couple times inna month.

Marina requires liability insurance, as they should. Insurance not required otherwise unless you are carrying a boat mortgage, no different than requirement for a house mortgage. Insurance amount was based upon declared value vis a vie book value. No special survey was required other than the one we had done prior to purchase. Insurance wanted a copy of that survey to confirm boat's seaworthiness for our home waters.

We leave our dorade vents adjusted to use the prevailing wind directions to provide supply air through one and exhaust air from the other when we are not present. If needed when on board we open all 10 ports, the hatches and companionway, or use a small window AC for those hot, humid, no wind days in the doldrums of summer. Obviously only at dock with shore power. If too hot, too little wind we don't go out or frankly even go down to the boat. If good weather we don't need any climate control while out! Our season runs April through November, though when younger and more immortal we sailed year round. Have other winter actives now and only go down a couple times in the winter to check on things (read excuse to hang around boats!)

The 16 now lives at home stored inside, but if we do take her back down to our marina she sits fully rigged ready to back into the water with ramp there and go. This convenience cost us $100 any month she sits on her trailer in the yard....also worth it.

There is no right answer, just right situations based upon location, and circumstances. The above works for us and hopefully can provide perspective on such.

·
Super Moderator
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Lots of good ideas. I should note, I have had slips in the past, several. Some things I really liked, somethings I didn't. Ultimately I did switch to trailer sailing because there were some things I didn't like so much. But, like I mentioned trailer sailing might not work as well for me due to some different time pressures and there is no doubt trailer sailing takes lots of time.

I looked into moorings. I don't think it would work out for me. They are fairly uncommon around here. A handful of yachy clubs offer a few moorings, but marinas/clubs with slips are every where. St ill, I liked the idea so I have done some research on dropping my own mooring in a quiet bay somewhere near home, but being all navigable waters around here, it seems there are some beuracratic hoops I would have to jump through.

Mast up storage. I like it. This is what I did with my very first sailboat and it was pretty convenient. Any way, this has me looking at all kinds of hand launchable boats as that seems more convenient. Lots of nice little catamarans that would make pretty awesome family beach cruisers.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I doubt people have too much boat damage in slips, but, I always thought a mooring was more 'healthy' for a boat. There is nothing to run into, and the wind is always in the correct direction to continuously ventilate the boat (with the proper cowl vents).
Inland lakes are not the same as coastal waters with tidal currents. Your boat may not always point into the wind and that can be a problem if you leave your companionway open.

A bigger concern is the health of your neighbors’ mooring tackle in a storm. You might not run into anything, but your neighbors in the mooring field might.

That said, you CAN get damaged in a slip in a storm.

·
Senior Citizen
431 Posts
$400 is pretty expensive for a 21 foot boat.
I carry only liability insurance on a 24 footer for only 1 boat buck ($100) per year.
-CH

·
1968 Columbia 50
433 Posts
As a few others have mentioned, mast up storage might be what works well for you. We have one marina nearby that offers it, where you arrange(by phone call or email) to have you boat launched for you, and it would be ready and waiting for you when you arrive. It is wildly popular with the motorboat crowd, and they have around 50 or so clients use their service. The only drawbacks are that launch and haulout times are limited by the staff hours.

Here is a link to our local marina with the in/out service I am referring to, just for reference:
In/Out

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll just offer that it's a great idea to have insurance regardless of trailering or keeping your boat in storage or a slip. Liability, at the very least, is worth having. :)

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
We made the move from a 21' trailer sailer last year to a 31' boat on a mooring. The move has been incredible. We sailed the 21' boat for years and had a really good process down for setup/takedown...but it was always a late Sunday drive home with the headache of emptying the boat, etc. I don't miss it one bit.

We chose a mooring vs slip for the solitude it offers. It was initially for the cost savings and availability, but after spending the first season on the mooring we agreed that we will never want a slip.

Regarding location: We chose a spot that is just under 2 hours away (Casco Bay, Maine) because the sailing is simply outstanding. We could have spent less for a place to sail in NH that is only 45 mins away, but we'd deal with a current and the sailing get's boring.

Check back into those yacht clubs..it's definitely worth the effort to investigate what it would take to join and use one of their moorings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If available mast up storage is the way to go. We have a 25’ fin keel boat that we had to strap launch. Me and the wife got launch and retrieval down to about 10 min. Was about $100 per month to store. The good side is no bottom paint, no sink in the slip worries, no sail drive corrosion, and cheap. We just moved to an area where there is no dry sail mast up storage. Lots of slips though. Boat is in the backyard cause I haven’t had time to get the bottom paint on, re do the thru hull fittings and a ton more to get it ready for a slip. So, we bought a power boat on a trailer. Very sad.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
WOW! I didn't realize I was such a tightwad. It's not a C-note anymore?
A "Boating Unit of Currency" is $100. equals a BUC, until the boat length gets beyond the mid-20's. When we moved from a 26 footer to our present 34 footer we found that the proper 'exchange rate' for a BUC was more like $1000.

Same rationale tho...... spouse asks about an expenditure on the family watercraft and you casually reply that it was "...Only a few BUC's...."
:2 boat:

Or as someone once stated, "Fun costs money, boys; How much fun do you want to have?" (That might have been from Ted Turner, but I am not certain.)

·
Super Moderator
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I might have found something, a mooring. It's at a dinghy/hobie club. No docks, just a sand beach. Most members keep their oats on dolleys and hand launch but the club has a couple dozen moorings for members with somewhat larger boats. You beach when you need to pick people/stuff up. That's fine by me, my boat was designed for beaching. Pretty decent sized lake. Probably about 20 square miles with some uninhabited islands with beaches for week end cruises.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I trailer sailed a 22’ for many years. Yes it was a PITA but saved $. However, factoring the hassle just to go home after a long day of sailing I don’t think I’d do it again. I eventually put that 22’ in a slip and sailed four to five days a week due to convenience. Sweet sunset sails right after work became possible. After that, the 25/27 and 30 had to be in a slip. The current 34 spends three weeks at anchor and one week at a slip. (Different Situation than you) So IMHO it depends on how much you sail or use the boat. For us, the boat was a part of our lives so lots of time and planning involved the boat. For others, it’s a couple times a month thing. If that were the case, I’d save the $ and just trailer her. As others have said in many threads, a boat is almost always a horrible investment money wise. You pay for convenience, fun, sanity and/or relaxation/ memories with cash or sweat. No way around one or the other. AA

·
Senior Citizen
431 Posts
I changed insurance carriers for my autos and home. My agent told me that liability insurance for boats under 26 feet is covered by my homeowners policy. I dropped the policy from my previous carrier saving $100 (1 BUC)! :)
-CH

·
Registered
78 Posts
I changed insurance carriers for my autos and home. My agent told me that liability insurance for boats under 26 feet is covered by my homeowners policy. I dropped the policy from my previous carrier saving $100 (1 BUC)! :)
-CH
Boat buck ($1000)

https://www.soundingsonline.com/boat-shop/stretching-boat-bucks-to-go-the-extra-mile

https://sailmoonshadow.com/cruising-wiki/

Might also be aligned with the Bust Out Another Thousand, i.e., boat.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 66 Posts