1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be the worlds most stupid question.... :p

Hypothetical.

Is rusty metal infectious? For example if I have a bit of chain where the galvanising has completely gone and the chain is rusty and I twist it with a bit of new chain so its touching, will the new chain rust faster?

Mark

Reactions: zeehag

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,677 Posts
shouldnt, unless it is pooped on by a hoorse then it will get tetanus.
rust5 no dont spread.
i vinegar my chain after it is out of sea water.. then fresh rinse, even when i stuff it into anchor chain locker... then i havent the stink fresh dying sea life makes and not the rust... seems to be working....

·
124 Posts
The rusting is not "contagious"
The rusted links are almost certainly more abrasive than clean galvinized links--so, working back & forth against the new links, they could wear off some of the galvinized coating on the new links and thus allow faster rusting to occur.

Solution: "polish" up the connecting old link. If you're concerned about it.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Contrary to poplar belief, rust cannot cause any disease. You could eat rust and nothing would happen, but I'd bet it's not real tasty. ;)

When I worked in medicine the fear was that if you were cut with a piece of metal, you would contract tetanus - nope, never happen. However, during my 15 year tenure in the field I saw three cases of tetanus. One was caused by a rose thorn, another by a trash collector being cut with a shard of glass, and the third, we never knew the origin. All three died within two weeks.

Gary :cool:

·
bell ringer
6,183 Posts
I actually feel that if the chains are in contact and wet that corrosion will be faster as the zinc in the good chain tries to protect the old chain.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
This is similar to the situation where if you don't do laundry very often , your least dirty bluejeans start to look pretty good. One could learn to accept or install a fresh water rinse and blow dry in the anchor locker, or never anchor .Or tell Mark it's toast and offer to take it off his hands for a small fee.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not exactly sure what you mean by 'infectious', but, in any case, I, personally, find it interesting that there is a growing body of evidence to support the idea that the process of oxidation RE: iron, manganese and copper (and possibly other metals) may very well be biological (as opposed to chemical) in origin.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,306 Posts
It's not an infection, it's a cancer.

·
599 Posts
There seems to be anecdotal evidence - a generally held belief - that rust catalyses the production of more rust. I have not found any primary sources to confirm or deny this, but would be interested in hearing the thoughts of a chemist.

Of course in a solid piece of metal, rust will cause more rust, because rust has a lower density than solid material, resulting pitting and areas flaking off. Whether it can have a chemical effect on colocated metal is the key question....interesting...

·
Master Mariner
9,414 Posts
I think once again it's a matter of dissimilar metals. If galvanized chain is lying on galvanized chain in the chain locker, then there should be no reaction between the zinced links. But if the zinc is lying on bare steel or rust, any moisture might create a reaction that could eat away at the zinc galvanizing and cause the chain to rust.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
My suspension is that rust spots are inadequately cleaned, especially towards the margins. They they seem to take a life of their own.

I've had a couple of instances where dissimilar metals seem to interact over a space of unaffected metal. Even a air gap.

I've had rust on metal bowsprits at the point closest to the anchor, twice.

Fratcher talks about that in his book.

But I find rust materials. I found a "pimple" on the deck, under the Dorade. When cleaned out I had a hole the size of a dime. Why here? No obvious reason, except the Gods Muck with me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.