SailNet Community banner

201 - 220 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Spend part of my professional life reading stuff like:
If you record eye movements of males and females looking at the same picture they are different. If you record fMRI of m/f doing a task they are different. Of course their is overlap in the response curves but their is a biologic difference which transcends culture. This is a wonderful thing. I'll look at something and be confounded. She sees right off.Opposite happens too. What makes me POd is for either sex to not value and accept this difference.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Imagine this...

There are two boats. Each has a race proven race crew. Each crew member has competed at a comparable level as the other. On paper, there is no difference, except one. One boat is crewed by men, the other by women. Who wins? And why?
They let women race?

·
Captain Obvious
2,324 Posts
Spend part of my professional life reading stuff like:
If you record eye movements of males and females looking at the same picture they are different. If you record fMRI of m/f doing a task they are different. Of course their is overlap in the response curves but their is a biologic difference which transcends culture. This is a wonderful thing. I'll look at something and be confounded. She sees right off.Opposite happens too. What makes me POd is for either sex to not value and accept this difference.
Thats great, its like you are saying we are 2 different species. Fascinating but what does it get you when some one has to go forward in 20 knot wind and change a head sail or pull up a stuck anchor? I mean its not rocket science. Some one steers and some one works up front. Both people need to know what they are doing, and what the other person is doing. If your MRI could tell us something practical I'd be interested. Not picking on you, just pointing out what we are dealing with....

·
Wind and pie move my boat.
428 Posts
Is sailing sexist ??? hmmmmmmmm.......OMG I certainly hope so.........& on my boat most assuredly so !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Was just pointing out misceptions can lead to unnecessary hostilities. By the way my bride has run the boat standing single watch ( I napped in the cockpit) in a gale. She Does just fine thank you. Neither of us can pull up stuck anchor. We go up and down and power or sail over it. Our headsails roll and we use a winch when neccessary. Brains not brawn makes for good sailors. Best sailor I ever knew was a slight lady town librarian. She was great on multiday passages. Taught me a ton of stuff. First day on new boat my bride went up the mast.said she just wanted to see the view after rigger had finished his stuff.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Fat? What was that sailing movie years ago where "No fat chicks" was painted below the waterline on a racing boat? Interestingly enough, as the story goes, that was taken from real life. I guess that was sexist boat?

·
Quirky
598 Posts
As a female sailor, I have found that I am only able to command a pink or purple vessel. If I'm on a boat that is of any other color, I get distracted, indecisive, randomly toss things overboard and require male direction. Otherwise I will just sit down below and either iron or churn butter.

Damn these ovaries....

Seriously though, I get better treatment from male sailors. I single hand my boat and generally get a thumbs up from other male sailors. Female sailors usually give me the stink eye or pretend I don't exist.
I'm kind of shy plus I don't have an overwhelming need to socialize so eff someone like that.

I'm proud of what I can do. I don't need anyone else's approval.

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Went sailing with my 5 year old daughter today. We were tacking up past an island when she yells out "Come on Dad, go fast like Mom does". I don't think she thinks sailing is sexist. In fact, I think she doesn't know what that means yet. Good for her!

She was great today in fact. She helped me do everything and even ran the tiller for a couple miles on the way home (with my hand poised if needed.) What a great day!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes. I have never heard of a vessel being referred to as he, its always she handles well, etc. Us males should demand fair treatment!!! Grrrr

·
Registered
44 Posts
Imagine this...

There are two boats. Each has a race proven race crew. Each crew member has competed at a comparable level as the other. On paper, there is no difference, except one. One boat is crewed by men, the other by women. Who wins? And why?
That's pretty much already happened. The defender's series for the 1995 America's cup had three contenders. One team, America3, had an all-female crew (with a male tactician). If I remember right, they were on the verge of winning the last race and heading to the America's Cup as the defender. They were beating Dennis Conner on Stars and Stripes by several minutes heading towards the finish, when they made the odd tactical decision to split from Stars and Stripes. They hit a patch of dead air and ended up losing. (DC went on to lose to New Zealand 5-0.)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%C2%B3

So luck and tactics are more important than gender of the crew. From what I recall, aside from briefly mentioning that the crew was all-female in the intro to the broadcasts, and some news interview questions asking the crew how it felt to be the first all-women crew, nobody made a big deal about it. They treated the boat and crew just like any other team. The fact that their "first" has mostly been lost to the annals of history I think is a testament to the lack of sexism in the sport. (At least in public. Dunno what went on in private.)

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
I'm not sure that I care what anyone calls their boat. My post was tongue in cheek.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm not sure that I care what anyone calls their boat. My post was tongue in cheek.
< smile > all in fun. I was the guy that made the comment about how boats are always referred to as she, and my next boat was gonna be named Ralph. Well after the discussion I am inclined to go with tradition held since the dawn of sailing and hence forth my vessels will always be referred to as she, and spoiled like we men spoil all our women.

God bless you ladies, one and all with your beautiful bellowing sails that we men enjoy so very much.........<smile>

·
Quirky
598 Posts
I had learned that boats were called "she" because they carry, protect and then deliver the crew (or cargo) like a mother does her child.

Since we sailors are generally a suspicious group, and that it's know the name you give your boat affects the "personality", I'm not sure Ralph would be a good name.
First, a male boat may run around trying to "hook up" with every female boat willing to give him the time of day.
Second, a boat name Ralph may just "shoot your eye out" (Christmas Story) and spend too much money on Ovaltine.

201 - 220 of 359 Posts