SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the next couple of months will be great but, man it's getting frustrating motoring an hour out the Sassafras River every day only to find you're in one big hole! Great places to anchor but I'd rather be sailing. Is there more wind at the southern end of the Bay? I'm heading to New Jersey next year and looking forward to those sea breezes! Sorry all you Chesapeake fans.

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
The spring and the fall are the best times on the Chessie...but you are a long way from the wind up the Sassafras. You'll have sea breezes in Jersey but not much to do except go back and forth. Unfortunately...sailing in Jersey ain't much fun unless you can get up by the city and those cruising grounds.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
That's one reason I like Buzzards Bay... nice and windy... a bit too windy at times... ;)

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
thought you were on the river in Philly! LOL I was on the Sassafras last year for about 3 months after we brought my boat up from Deale. Mid summer is iffy for sure but the ride out the Sassy is boring at best. I always checked the baycasts on the radio first. We went down in Mid June and that's when the wind was good but my steering broke and we lost 3 days waiting to get it fixed. I hope to going to the bay in a couple of weeks though. But i will most likely try for fairly creek. then hopefully St Michaels.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Teshannon, Sailing in Jersey just makes you a better sailor ........ The shallow water also builds nerves of steel . My boat is in Tuckerton not far from where you plan on being. I will tell you it is a rare day when there is no wind.

·
Registered
672 Posts
That's one reason I like Buzzards Bay... nice and windy... a bit too windy at times... ;)

WHAT is TOO windy for you? Nothing I like better than getting a steady 25 knots on a decent sized boat, w/ the sails properly reefed and the boat sailing like she's meant to!:cool: Nothing I hate worse than being HOT and not sailing!... Yeah, sailing season on Chesapeake Bay is here!:D

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Tom - Sorry to hear you haven't been able to really sail your new-to-you boat! We just decided NOT to do the move from Champlain to the Long Island Sound because of the dearth of wind on the sound. Here on Champlain we regularly get 10-20 over the summer. You should head in this direction! Might be a long commute though.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This weekend was awesome on the Bay. Saturday was 20-25 kts early and a bit less later on. Great sailing, and my little Bristol 29 took it like a champ. Lighter but still very pleasant wind the rest of the weekend. And no humidity! Generally you need a front this time of year to generate that kind of wind.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris,
I've had a number of good days but they've been outnumbered by the dead ones. As Cam said I guess I'm just too far up the bay. Cam, I get your point but I guess I'd rather sail back and forth than motor back and forth. Bardo, I went out on Saturday with a nice stiff breeze and it immediately died when I hit the bay! No humidity but no wind either. I just hate missing 2 months of the season.
Living in Philly Annaplois and south is just too far a car ride for me.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,238 Posts
I didn't sail much in August (waiting on new sail and furler ;) ) but I have found the rest of the year to have been much better than normal for sailing the Chesapeake. If this past weekend was an indication of whats to come the fall looks to be a winner :cool:

I don't think I could give up the abundance of awesome anchorages on the Chesapeake just for more wind.:) I know there are many wonderful places to sail in the world, but the Chesapeake is something very special and I hope I never take it for granite.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
T37CHEF,
The bay is beautifull, no question about it. It's just very frustrating sometimes at the upper end. I think you're at Wharton Creek and maybe a few miles south makes a difference, but between the lack of wind and the plan to do some coastal sailing I'm off to NJ next year. I'm sure I'll miss the anchorages but just feel the need to put some more stress on the boat(and myself) I guess.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have you thought about getting off the Sassafass, I live in south jersey and keep my boat at Tolchester marina. It's about 20 more minutes of driving but it is right on the bay. You clear the marina breakwall and put up your sails. I have thought about moving my boat to the Jersey shore, mainly Barnegat Bay but there is no place to go and you think the Chesapeake is shallow, it's a deep trench compared to Barnegat Bay.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Tolchester Marina - now there's a cool place. We stopped there on our delivery from Annapolis to Champlain. Our new reefing setup wasn't working so we needed our rigger to come out before we left the area for good. Anyway, very cool marina and it looked very old school in May, with lots of old wooden cruisers in the covered slips, the big work buildings, etc. And the zig-zag protected entrance was interesting, although I'm sure it can get fun to maneuver through when the wind is blowing or the current is roaring!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Labatt, it is a great place to keep your boat and the entrance is very easy to navigate in any condition. Once you pass the outer breakwall entrance, it becomes calm as a milk pond. I love your Passport 40, it is a beauty inside and out.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Freddy,
In hindsight I should have gone further south, however my wife and I have our hearts set on the Jersey coast next summer. Longport is still a short ride for us and we plan to sail up to Maine which makes Jersey an easier starting point.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I know the next couple of months will be great but, man it's getting frustrating motoring an hour out the Sassafras River every day only to find you're in one big hole! Great places to anchor but I'd rather be sailing. Is there more wind at the southern end of the Bay? I'm heading to New Jersey next year and looking forward to those sea breezes! Sorry all you Chesapeake fans.
We kept our boat on the Sassafrass for a few years because it was a reasonable drive from our home. We finally moved to Annapolis four years ago for the reasons you mention. It takes an extra hour to drive to the boat, but in my opinion well worth it.

I believe the winds are better south of the bay bridge and Annapolis is a great place when you are not sailing. From my slip at Annapolis Landing Marina, I can be sailing within 5 minutes. I find we leave the dock a lot more, because we don't have to motor 50 minutes each way to get enough room to sail.

My problems with NJ sailing are that Barnagnat Bay is too shallow for most cruising boats, many of the inlets are difficult and you don't have any really good destinations for overnights (I dislike Atlantic City, not my type of place). I think I would get really bored just sailing up and down the coast. I like anchoring out in a variety of places after a really good sail.

I am glad we made the move to Annapolis.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Herb,
I dislike Atlantic City too. It's just not the same place it was 25 years ago when I sailed out of there. I like Annapolis a lot but it is a bear to get there during the summer. I'll miss the anchoring that's for sure but there are destinations you can get to from NJ, you just need a lot more time to get there.
Chris,
But it snowing there now, right?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts