SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the "pleasure" of changing the gear oil in my outboard. By the time I was able to unscrew the pump hose and fumbled to get the threaded plug back in I had released a large portion of what I had just put in. Of course it went all over the place.

Is there a better pump unit that uses a quick connect to get the hose off the screw fitting so it is easier to unscrew? Is there another type of plug that is larger and easier to get started in the hole?

I have a 2013 Suzuki 15hp and it has tiny threaded plugs that are very difficult to get started back into the fill hole.

·
Rebecca
22 Posts
If the motor's easy to move around, you can put the upper plug in like IStream says, then lay the motor on its side to keep gravity from getting all the gear oil. Of course, the lower unit's oil holes need to be on the same side that a four stroke can be rested on without leaking crankcase oil. I do this trick with my 15 Johnson, but it's a 2-stroke.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Birdie. Anything has to make the process easier. I wanted to give you a "thanks" but couldn't find the button to push. Do you know why sometimes it shows up in a post and sometimes it doesn't?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts