SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I removed all the paint off the bottom of my West system barrier coated bottom, I found about 25 of these little pin holes in the barrier coat. I drilled them out and filled them with epoxy filler. They ranged from 1/16" to 1/8" in depth. I think they were probably holes in the barrier coat caused by bubbles when it was applied that popped as the epoxy cured. Can anyone please confirm or deny that?

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was no fluid in any of them. The depth varied but all appeared to be filled with dried bottom paint. The boat has been out of the water since November so they have had a chance to dry.
I know blistering is a gelcoat phenomena but I believe I read somewhere (I think in the Interlux Interprotect literature) that barrier coat can also blister. And anything is porous with time and pressure.

SD - what is a fisheye?

I now have them all filled but my interest is in not ending up with the same thing after I apply the additional barrier coats I'm planning on applying next. So I'm trying to figure out what caused them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.