SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attached a photo of what I think is a jib pennant. I found it among a bunch of junk on my boat and was wondering how to use it. I know that a pennant is to raise the short jib off the deck, but I was wondering if this is indeed what I suspect and also what is the round black spacer for that rides up and down the cable?

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. for shorter foresails. The round thing probably helps prevent halyard wrap.

Best Regards,

e

.::.
Cool, well we have established what it is.... but now, how is it used?

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
If we are talking about the same thing (we call them strops over here). Attach one end to your bow, in my case my boat has holes in the Headstay.. Is it a bow peak? I forget, anyway the stainless fitting at the front with roller for the anchor etc.
Then the other end is attached to your sail.

I have strops of varying length to raise the sail height off the deck.

Mychael

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If we are talking about the same thing (we call them strops over here). Attach one end to your bow, in my case my boat has holes in the Headstay.. Is it a bow peak? I forget, anyway the stainless fitting at the front with roller for the anchor etc.
Then the other end is attached to your sail.

I have strops of varying length to raise the sail height off the deck.

Mychael
OK, I got it. Thanks - That is what I suspected but wasn't 100% sure.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
A pennant in my experience has two uses: 1) To get the sail off the deck to faciliate visibility forward and a full range of movement, such as when fully eased; 2) To get a bit of sail area higher in the case where you are expecting a wide range of wind gusts and want to sail with reduced sail area forward, but not completely kill your drive.

I typically have only used them when I rig a No. 3 and sail solo in 20 knots or so. Too high and the sail cut to sweep the deck (such as a 100% working jib) doesn't perform well, which is probably why I've never seen them higher than just under the pulpit rail.

·
S/V Loon
61 Posts
For roller reefing too.

I can think of one other use for a 'jib pennant', which is at the top of a short jib on a roller reefing setup to get the top swivel to the top of the fore stay and avoid halyard wrap. Learned that the hard way.

Edit: CSears is correct, its a pendant. A pennant is a flag.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
using a pendant at the base would do the same thing and improve your ability to see under the jib/genoa...

I can think of one other use for a 'jib pennant', which is at the top of a short jib on a roller reefing setup to get the top swivel to the top of the fore stay and avoid halyard wrap. Learned that the hard way.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I hate to be pedantic, but I believe you mean jib pendant, not jib pennant and also not to be confused with a fraculator.
Actually, pennant and pendant are often used to refer to a short line in marine usage... see here

·
Registered
116 Posts
To be technically accurate, a fraculator is never found on an offset frequency spanhard - they can only fraculate when abeam a secondary, or abridging a running foreyard grunnion.

Common mistake...

Best Regards,

e

.::.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts

Edit: CSears is correct, its a pendant. A pennant is a flag.
Correct. Damn it, I just blindly repeated the error.:(

I actually said to my wife "how long was that pendant we used to use on Valiente?" and then typed "pennant".

D'oh!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Actually, pennant and pendant are often used to refer to a short line in marine usage... see here
I think that's an error, SD, or at best a inadvertent tautology. The ghost of my high-school Latin teacher is whispering in my ear that "pennant" relates to flags going to the head [/I ] (pen) of the mast, whereas the "pendant" is below the tack of the sail (think "dependent", "suspended"...the idea of one thing dangling below another, more important thing).

I have even heard "pedant" pronounced in the place of "pendant", because the line or strop goes at the foot (ped) of the sail!

So much of our sailing terms reflect archaisms and the clash of languages that I find the semantic and linguistic elements fascinating. Another quick example is the way to distinguish a sailboater from a powerboater: the boxed disks used to reeve halyards and running lines are pronounced sheeves on power boats and shivs on sailboats, but are written "sheaves" on both.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
and then there are
<TABLE class=ProdTopHalf cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=PD_Column1><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR align=left><TD>
Mooring Pennant, 3/4" x 15'; 23,200lb. Breaking Strength​
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://images.westmarine.com/ProductDisplay/WBRightSide.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-y"> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(http://images.westmarine.com/ProductDisplay/WBBottomSide.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x"> </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD class=PD_Column2 width=228>NEW ENGLAND ROPES

Mooring Pennant

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
S/V Loon
61 Posts
Spelling and pronunciation

Spelling and pronunciation was a bit random back when these words were being worked out. The two roots are from the Latin penna "feather" and the Latin pendere "to hang". So the pennant becomes a tapered flag (like a feather shape), and a pendant becomes a piece of line that hangs off of something. But pendant is alternatively pronounced in English and later spelled as pennant.

See this:Online Etymology Dictionary - pendant and Online Etymology Dictionary - pennant

So it looks like both are correct.

We all know how seaman talk... Argghhh. :)

That's as close as I can come online without my OED in front of me.

I'd guess we get the word pen for a writing implement from penna also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts