SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am continuing work on my Hutton 24 TS. The previous owner fitted two tracks in the cockpit and I'm not sure if there is a need for the shorter one. Has anyone else got a set up similar to this or can see an advantage of having it? If not, I'd like to remove it and fill the holes for a cleaner less cluttered cockpit. Thoughts please? Thanks Mark.

P.S Excuse the leaves, very wet and windy here at the moment in Melbourne.

Attachments

·
Sailor
929 Posts
I can't see the reason for 2 tracks either. Remove the shorter one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
19,488 Posts
I suspect the shorter was original.. someone simply added something longer, and perhaps moving it back avoided some cabintop chafe. Since the original didn't leak they left it?? ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
The front one is obviously much too close to the companionway, this would have caused a pretty serious obstruction. There are lots of boats that had short tracks where the owner added a longer track for racing, although your rear track still looks a bit short. It does have blocks for adjustment, so you could look at the cleating arrangements. I don't think the tracks are the same section, so the car is only going to fit the rear track anyway.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I wouldnt remove it unless its leaking...

thats called redundancy to some...if for some reason you have a failure at the big track you can rig up something quick on the original

·
Sailor
929 Posts
Cristian makes a good point. Otherwise you will always be fighting leaks there. If already leaking, remove and fill holes with epoxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
I agree with the above... the longer track was to provide more angles of attack (perhaps more room to dump the traveler in a blow)... the shorter track also looks too close to the cabin.... so they likely moved it back and added a longer track to provide more functionality. Leaving the original was a decision against filling holes I bet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts