SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a C&C 35 Mk II, which had an Edson steering pedestal and wheel and which I removed, as I prefer a tiller. It has an emergency tiller which fits over a "rudder head" at the back of the cockpit (see picture here: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/w8irjonv0zojfkz/AADWiDICiqmBFsjtjzi2oEQra).

But is this really the rudder head? The emergency tiller fits over the 1-1/8" stainless cube, which becomes a threaded cylinder. The cylinder appears to be screwed into a bronze collar.

But is that right? Or is the stainless cube really the rudder head with a bronze collar fitter over it?

I would really like to buy or fabricate the piece to hold the tiller, but I can't quite figure out what I'm looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a C&C 35 Mk II, which had an Edson steering pedestal and wheel and which I removed, as I prefer a tiller. It has an emergency tiller which fits over a "rudder head" at the back of the cockpit (see picture here: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/w8irjonv0zojfkz/AADWiDICiqmBFsjtjzi2oEQra).

But is this really the rudder head? The emergency tiller fits over the 1-1/8" stainless cube, which becomes a threaded cylinder. The cylinder appears to be screwed into a bronze collar.

But is that right? Or is the stainless cube really the rudder head with a bronze collar fitter over it?

I would really like to buy or fabricate the piece to hold the tiller, but I can't quite figure out what I'm looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John
If I'm not mistaken you have a boat with spade rudder?
The bronze collar is most probably preventing the rudder from falling out of the boat.
The square top is the top of the rudder post (or shaft), this is the normal way to rig emergency steering on a wheel steered boat.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts

John
The "cube" is the machined end of the rudder post. The bronze collar threaded on the shaft below the "cube"appears to be the locking collar that locks the shaft into the shaft tube. There is likely a packing gland under the deck to prevent water infiltration around the shaft. Examination of the fitting for your emergency tiller will reveal what type fitting you will need to have fabricated for your tiller. For what its worth, you may find that you need an inconveniently long tiller to manage steering that yacht with much ease.

FWIW...

·
Administrator
9,280 Posts
That sure looks like a rudder head to me. As Knuterikt righly points out, the bronze collar covers the thrust bearing (or may actually be the thrust bearing) which prevents your rudder from dropping out of the boat. It is important to make sure that the part that you see in the picture is keyed into the top of the rudder post so that it can't turn independent of the rudder post. I had a very unpleasant surprise when I had to rig my temporary steering a few years ago and discovered that the rudder head was swiviling independent of the rudder, and more disturbingly, unscrewing the nut which keeps the rudder from dropping out of the boat.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yikes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts