1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Administrator
Beneteau 393
10,236 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

This is quite important to me.

Is this valve OPEN? As in water can flow through it?

Or is it closed as in water cannot flow through it?

Thanjs

Mark
Art Artifact Gas Cylinder Sculpture

Gas Valve Plumbing Cylinder Nut

Valve Plumbing Gas Cylinder Plumbing fitting

Gas Cylinder Auto part Metal Plumbing fitting

· Registered
4,535 Posts
Reaction score
Closed. Look at the flat spot on the shaft. Every valve has this sort of "tell" for when a plumber must remove the handle for fitting. The flat spots or other tell represent what it would look like if it were a butterfly valve.

· Registered
‘77 Pearson 10m
660 Posts
Reaction score
Mark, what does this valve do? How critical is it? You might be able to look up the brand based on the markings.
I agree it looks closed based on the orientation of the flat spots (I’m sure there’s a nautical term for it…).
Al

· bell ringer
6,387 Posts
Reaction score
)6
Fwiw friends discovered this year that their valve to the engine water intake had been assembled backwards somehow. I didn’t think this possible but it was.
What kind of valve was that? The only type would be a globe valve and even that not much issue on a boat

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
I second
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Or is it closed as in water cannot flow through it?

Thanjs
Mark
I agree completely with pdqaltair's post. I'd say without a doubt, however, just put a small crescent wrench (adjustable spanner) on the flat sides, turn the valve and you will know for sure. In the past, I've removed the handles from valves to prevent others from accidentally opening or closing it. I used a crescent wrench to open or close it when I wished.

· Registered
3,995 Posts
Reaction score
It is a ball valve, and it is closed. You can get a new handle for it at home depot or any plumbing supply.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts