SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two weeks ago I redid my ISAF Sea Survival Course as the old certification had expired. Rather than take one of the standard courses on offer, as I had done last time, I was fortunate to get at the front of the waiting list for the "original" class in Germany and was contacted the day before the class to see if could fill an empty slot.

This specific class is only held a couple of times a year, since the training itself is held at Germany's Navy training base/academy for damage control - and they only allow civilians inside on rare occasions.

While we had to overnight in 5-person rooms in the barracks we did get to dine and drink at the O-Club :)

I can heartily recommend this course, even for those not planning on crossing any oceans!

More pictures are at ISAF Course 2014 but here are some highlights:

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
I think that a good understanding of 'damage control and firefighting' (which is what we call that course in the US) is an absolute must if one wishes to venture beyond the sight of land on any kind of vessel.
A 12" hole in the hull forward, above the waterline, in moderate weather, should not be cause to abandon the boat. I know of a couple of guys that had a log or telephone pole go through the starboard bow SW of Hawaii and sailed over 1200 miles back to Hawaii, after using standard damage control techniques to cover the hole.
Even a fairly large hole below the waterline can be controlled temporarily by lashing a sail over the hole and letting the water pressure hold it in the hole and slow the ingress of water.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the weather outside is miserable and I downloaded a trial edition of Adobe's video editing software (Premiere Pro CC), I decided to put together a mixed slideshow with pictures and video clips and upload it YouTube. Here's the link to the result

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ISAF is international, and there are all sorts of places where you can take the seminar. Most of the venues won't have a full hall for fires, or a simulation chamber for leaks and it is unlikely that you'll have a wave pool. The last time I took this course was in a normal pool and it was still a great learning experience.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pjs1554 - thanks for the kind words. I've spent the past couple of days reading up on how to make videos and am amazed at how complex the matter, when done correctly, really is. I'm sure that I'll be able to make better videos sometime, but one needs to start somewhere...

·
Registered
24 Posts
The realism of the training is incredible. It must have given you a great sense of accomplishment and more importantly confidence. Most situations can be handleed with a cool head and confidence of gained from experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts