SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Batten down the hatches

This one looks unpredictable as it wobbles up the east coast of the US. 40 mile difference in track could keep it over the Gulf Steam thus intensifying or keeping it strong vs. inland which will gradually weaken it

Either way it should accelerate as it mixes with the frontal system headed across the mountains from Georgia thru New York.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a major flood event up the eastern seaboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,528 Posts
Rain is OK in my area. Wind and storm surge is my main concern. Meanwhile Mr. NOAA is still talking about "possible" Tropical Storm conditions two days out. Seems like the older experienced forecasters have retired and the new kids won't commit to a forecast until the models agree. Which looks like with this storm will be the day before. We'll see. I'm just glad I've replaced the broken Thru Hull before whatever weather hits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,528 Posts
Checking the Windy App it looks like the worst in my boats harbor on the north shore of Long Island has around 30 to 40 knots for two hours Tuesday night and dropping rapidly after that time. Hope that prediction holds. Going to add an additional pennant line remove the anchor from the bowsprite tomorrow and hope for the best.,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Its a good thing it isn't any stronger... Its supposed to arrive in Charleston with the high tide tonight. Everybody is expecting flooded streets even if its 50 miles off shore...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
I secured my bimini and made sure the jib sheets were well-cleated before leaving the boat on Saturday. Hoping it turns out to be no worse than currently predicted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
We’re spending the summer in Cambridge, MD taking care of a few projects and mainly sitting out hurricane season. The marina is very exposed from the north, so in an abundance of caution yesterday we moved up to the head of Island Creek and are pretty well protected up here. We do seem to be in the crosshairs for the track. Hopefully the system will go to the east of us.
 

·
Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
Moving off my T head dock to a more protected slip and will remove some windage items... Headsail, bimini, dingy, etc... Always a good chance to inspect things mid season haha.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We’re very much in a hurricane hole at the dock. Put a couple extra lines on her. Bungeed the head sail twice. Wrapped the main with a dock line in her sail cover.
Adjusted lines to allow for a 4 ft surge.
Gonna be lots of rain
Winds strong just for a few hours
 
  • Like
Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,699 Posts
Returned a bit early from a 1 week cruise. Predictions for later tomorrow are for 30 to 40 knots with gusts to 50. Luckily it should be mostly from the east where our mooring field is well protected. Fingers crossed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,075 Posts
I am trying to decide if I should go to the boat and make some sort of preparations. It's an hr and 45 min drive to Old Lyme.... one model says winds are expect to reach gale force later in the evening another in the high 20s to 30. I was thinking to wrap the main cover and do something to the head sail furling. I can't do anything with the mooring which has a single 3/4" 3 strand pennant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,075 Posts
I have decided to not do anything and leave it to fate. I suspect the storm will be weakening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,528 Posts
Spent yesterday on the boat doing some storm prep. Beautiful summer day. Took off the 35 lb Bruce off the bow roller so there is no chance it will cut through the mooring pennant. Seems to get heavier every year. :) Jumped in for a swim and added another shackle on the mooring buoy. I managed to fit it next to the existing one. Connected some high tech Dynema type line to it and up to the Sampson Post. Wrapped the sail and cleared the cockpit. Not a lot of people out prepping their boats. Saw one fellow taking off his sails. Kept looking at wind predictions. Unfortunately, gonna be on the bad side of the storm. Looking at 30 to 40 knots for a couple of hours. Though NOAA has gusts to 60 knots. Accuweather is saying gusts to 32. Hope they live up to their name. Feeling pretty good about things. After superstorm Sandy with it's 92 mph winds only two boats ended up on shore in the harbor and were able to be pulled off. Still one always worries when storms blow through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
On the hard in Beaufort. She came through last night. Very little rain and some wind. Don’t know where it topped out I didn’t watch the areometer. In the brief period I did watch it I saw 33, so maybe we touched 50. Looks like everyone in the yard survived just fine. Some loose stuff blown around and disrupted. It woke us up occasionally.

I thought there was a remarkable disconnect between NHC and NOAA GRIB files. NHC wind possibilities seemed to totally ignore land effects. GRIB was showing the eye stopping for 6 hours and then 9 hours before coming ashore but had the wind about right, minus the gusts. Maybe that’s more about the granularity if their model? Weather Underground seemed to be about right, minus the gusts.

just my non-professional observations.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am trying to decide if I should go to the boat and make some sort of preparations. It's an hr and 45 min drive to Old Lyme.... one model says winds are expect to reach gale force later in the evening another in the high 20s to 30. I was thinking to wrap the main cover and do something to the head sail furling. I can't do anything with the mooring which has a single 3/4" 3 strand pennant.
Too late storms moving too fast
 
  • Like
Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,075 Posts
Too late storms moving too fast
not too fast for me to make it there. Had I left at 7 am as plannned I would be there now... But the winds are not bad and will be less than thirty and mostly in the mid 20s... no prep needed for that.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
storm moving at 23

We are entering the worst part.

Tornado warnings all over the eastern shore across the bay. one spotted in Queenstown area across the Bay bridge about 20 miles from here

wind is a steady 20 with gusts up to 42 on the boats wind instrument
Ap shows stead 30 plus out on the Bay.

Raining vey heavily

Water is up 3 ft, let some of the lines out a little to compensate. We are in a very protected hurricane hole with banks around us and lots of mature trees surrounding the marina.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mbianka

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not too fast for me to make it there. Had I left at 7 am as plannned I would be there now... But the winds are not bad and will be less than thirty and mostly in the mid 20s... no prep needed for that.
Not much you can do on a mooring except extra chafe or lines and pulling canvas
I guess it depends on the fetch and wind direction whether it’s a rough ride on the boat
Yes the steady wind not too bad about 28 steady very manageable
We’ve seen gusts mid 40s and have about 3 hours to go
many many tornado warnings

glad I’m safely in a slip. For a full fledged hurricane probably not, but for this kind of even very safe. Water is over the docks but we have 20 ft piling.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,528 Posts
Too late storms moving too fast
Looking at the current Radar it looks like it is moving further northwest and inland than previous projections. Hopefully this will knock it down some more. Long Island under a tornado watch too until 8 PM. It's moving faster than projected. Still dry but, getting breezy.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top