SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1989 Island Packet 35 that has some hurricane damage. Mostly on deck stuff, like rub rail, stanchions, bow and cockpit pulpits, but also some rig damage, like one broken chain plate and mast spreader. Inside is pretty much all good, with exception of occasional problem with AC panel kicking off for no apparent reason. I’m in Pensacola, Florida. Looking to reach out to other IP 35 owners for tips and advice.

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
Good luck. Sounds like some structural damage, as well as unknown damage causing the AC tripping. Maybe a buried short somewhere, cause by some more buried damage. Hope it pays off.

Any pics?

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
Hmm. Hope that proves to be true. I think.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Yeah.
Do them all.
IP has that history/problem
I’ve sailed on a friend’s IP40 and chartered an IP35, IP350, IP37 (3 times), IP 38 (twice), IP440, and IP460 over the years. The water seal at the chainplates seems to have been a weak point for IP, so maybe you can check that out and fix it as necessary.

Otherwise, the IPs are solid, well-made boats. Good luck with your project.

·
Freedom Chip Counter
259 Posts
How's the project coming along? We're looking at an IP35 this weekend.....seen a few '89's over the past 2 weeks. Chainplate(s) and mast base access (for wiring) are my only two complaints. Everything else appears easily accessible...stuffing box is a bit tight though...full keel... There's a few videos (Mack Sails being one) out there on IP Chainplate replacement. They have a set fee for replacing all rigging and chainplates now. IP probably has the same thing right at the factory and is of course quite a bit closer to your location.

Any storm damage to the rudder or keel?

Keep us posted on your progress!

Best

·
Registered
527 Posts
No, they are buried in. I’m getting a rigger do that part, as well as the spreader repair.
A friend of mine, IP 31 owner, has been contemplating replacing his existing chainplates with hullside chainplates.

Not really sure if it's feasable, and it really changes the look of the boat, but you'd gain inspectability and access for maintenance. Something to consider.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have already replaced the chain plates for all 4 lower stays with external plates made specifically for island packet boats. They are incredibly beefy and are bolted through the ss bar which is glassed inside the hull during manufacturing process. But it’s a very expensive fix. The plates alone are about $500 each. And drilling 7/8” holes in 1/4” ss bar is no joke.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No storm damage to rudder or keel. I’m almost done with the rigging, just waiting for an insulated back stay that had to be replaced. The work on rub and cap rails is moving very slowly as the weather has been wet and the carpenter slower than molasses in Siberian winter. Installed a new bow pulpit, and ordered a new port side cockpit railing which will include an 8’ wind generator pole. I fixed the dodger and have all the parts for bimini which will have at least 2 solar panels mounted on top.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, and I had also completely re plumbed the head, making it fully compliant with Florida requirements.

·
Freedom Chip Counter
259 Posts
Thanks for the updates! We drove across the state to Bradenton and saw the IP-35 on Sunday. This is the 4th one we've looked at....they hold their value well.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, these are very well built boats that are also very comfortable to live on. Everything is really solid and IP factory workmanship is great. Before I bought this boat I drove over 3000 miles looking at over 30 different boats. It really was not such a hard choice. Even damaged, this boat stood out in a positive way against all the other boats I was considering. Yes, I am spending quite a bit of money and time on the repairs and upgrades, but I'm getting a boat that is really solid and will hold it's value should I decide to sell her.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The encapsulated chainplates in some IP's are a major concern if I was in the market for one. REALLY REALLY a danger of crevice corrosion when salt water gets in. Only way to find out if they've got it is wait for the chainplate to fail and the mast falls down. Converting to external chain plates shouldn't be that hard or expensive. The chain plates would be easy to fabricate out of 1/4" SS or thicker with a drill press and belt sander. It could be a do it yourself project though way easier to have a machine shop do it. Order the right width plate, cut to length, drill the holes for 3/8" fasteners get them electro polished and install using the original chain plates as backing. There hardest part will be drilling the holes through the old chainplates and cutting the tops off the old fittings.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After digging around these chain plates I decided to only replace the plates for the 4 lower stays. They are made from a rather thin stock which does not look like 316. The PO did a nasty uncontrolled jibe and the boom slammed into the port aft lower stay kinking it on impact. Next day he noticed that the chain plate for that stay broke off at deck level. The new external plates are more than double in thickness. There is an outfit in Florida, neat IP factory which specializes in replacing chain plates on IP boats. They charge about 12 grand for replacing all the plates. I think its an overkill but the 4 lower stays definitely need to be replaced IMO.

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase! I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress and seeing pictures.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts