SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems they have issues? Perhaps restructure or gone forever? Called their numbers and they are indeed disconnected.

Source
Wikipedia Island Packet Yachts

"After several attempts to reach them this week, it appears that IPY has closed. All of the phone lines are dead and the company email addresses, as well as the direct employee addresses that were attempted, all kicked back as no longer in existence. Company employees had shared that they were in tough shape during 2015, never recovered from the financial crisis, and hadn't been selling many boats in recent years. An eviction notice dated Feb 24, 2016 was posted on the locked factory door."

·
Registered
257 Posts
When I was shopping for a used cruiser, I saw a lot of IP 38's that I liked. I called up the factory (8 years ago) and asked if they would be willing to help with the rebuild of one. They told me they were too busy selling new ones to be worried about old ones.
I went on to other boats....

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
When I was shopping for a used cruiser, I saw a lot of IP 38's that I liked. I called up the factory (8 years ago) and asked if they would be willing to help with the rebuild of one. They told me they were too busy selling new ones to be worried about old ones.

Interesting observation and a horrible business model compared to the builder of my boat.

Thanks for the personal anecdote.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps that brings up an interesting question. What does it take, under the current market we live in with regards to sailing, to be a successful boat builder?

Is Island Packet a dying style for the current market?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
That's too bad, if it's true. I toured the Blue Jacket 40 at the New England boat show a couple of weeks back, which I think is made by IP. I thought it a very worthy boat.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Small, speciality sailboat builders cannot compete with large, govt subsidized mass marketers.

My prediction; next up, Hinkley will stop building sail and concentrate on picnic boats (like Sabre) and try to make Morris carry on with semi-custom sailboats.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
My understanding is bene gets big help in the loan department. After the crash, lenders wouldnt finance boats. The french govt supported boat loans and if you didnt have caah, they were the only game. Bene/Jene grabbed a big chunk of the market that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm sure there are many reasons but the market for new US built sailboats hasn't been good in over a decade.
http://www.cruisingworld.com/sites/cruisingworld.com/files/the_sailing_market_2014_with_2013_data1.pdf
This is a couple years old but I think more recent #'s show the same thing. The strong US dollar won't help much either.

Hinckley has been mostly building power boats since about 2000 likely about 90% of production most of that time. They did introduce a new 50' sailboat last year and I believe have sold 3-4 of them so far.

·
19,489 Posts
.. and yet PSC seems to be doing good business rehabbing some of their old classics.. thought I read/heard that they were doing more of that than new construction.

Reactions: T37Chef and newt

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Ask your self this question. How many of us want a full to semi full keel boat? The local dealer with a Blue Jacket 40 is now deducted some $100+, not sure a bite has occurred. Meanwhile, they have sold a dozen or so Jeanneau's a year! Including some that are more expensive than the BJ40, they also still have an IP38 IIRC......

PSC IMHO had the same issue. Too old of designs, clobbered by the older models that were reasonably cheap etc to buy. Catalina avoided this issue when they finally started to do some new designs. I am a little worried about Cape George Boatworks that is only building some older Lyle Hess designs. They are rehabbing older ones, so money is coming in the door. Nice folks at CGB but still.......older style boat that is not everyones cup o tea!

marty

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Seems they have issues? Perhaps restructure or gone forever? Called their numbers and they are indeed disconnected.
The Wikipedia article you cited does not contain the quote you posted.

While there are always surprises in business I don't think this is true. I have Bill Bolin's cell phone number and will call him today at a more civilized time.

IPY recently won a contract to build Seaward Yachts in addition to their own Island Packets and the Blue Jacket. That makes it even harder to believe they have financial stability problems. Think about the due diligence carried out before the award and the infusion of cash as part of it.

IPY did have a rough patch some years ago. They went to a four day work week for a while to protect jobs. In my opinion Bob Johnson and Bill Bolin and their team have done a very good job of business management over the years in good times and bad.

There must be more to that story. IPY has a reputation for outstanding customer service. I have personal knowledge of them hunting through files for drawings and parts lists for old boats.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My understanding is bene gets big help in the loan department. After the crash, lenders wouldnt finance boats. The french govt supported boat loans and if you didnt have caah, they were the only game. Bene/Jene grabbed a big chunk of the market that way.
Uhu? Anything to support that statement or is it just something you say?

Bene, as you call them, are French. You know, that country in Europe famous for their wines. Europe were not hit in the same way as US by "the crash", Bene was one of the major boat builders, maybe the largest at that time. They did take some hits, as all did, made severe cuts, as all did.
But ... "the french govt supported boat loans"? Would that really save an international boat builder with its main market outside France?

All this said, the french are as protective as many others. It use to land on car industry or farming, both national sports. Then it is the industry that gets the support, not the consumers.

/J

·
Registered
257 Posts
There must be more to that story. IPY has a reputation for outstanding customer service. I have personal knowledge of them hunting through files for drawings and parts lists for old boats.
Dave, I was looking at the IP 38 after having chartered the IP 40 and was told by Johnson those exact words. I had the one I wanted to buy and all my ducks in a row. Maybe because I was not yet an owner, or they were busy that day or something else, that I was blown off that day. I was not impressed. I went with a Valiant that assured me they would either update my boat at the factory or that I could buy parts from them (at $$$ to be sure). The Valiant shop has since closed down.
I have no problems with the quality of the IP, and a few IP-38's have circ'ed the world. I just felt that they would not help me with their older models, and that was a big deal to me at that time. Not so much now that I do my own plumbing, sailmending, mech, fiberglass, welding, etc....
As for older designs- I think people like PSC make excellent boats and would buy one of those boats rather than a newer model that you cannot get parts for because the design changes every few years. OK, so I get there a few hours later. Bill me.:sailing-pilgrims:

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
The Seattle dealer has had a Blue Jacket for sale for almost three years.

Sorry to see them go.I have not designed a new production boat since the Flying Tiger and that was about 7 years ago. All my work since has been custom boats.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
We looked at building a new PSC44 but went with the Outbound. Steve Brody is a true gentleman and his shop builds a great boat. Even after the Outbound was in build ( and he knew it) PSC helped me out with my PSC 34 as its sale was in progress.
On another thread noted all the stick built boat builders are in trouble. To paraphrase Smack people want more boat (LWL) for less money. They generally don't appreciate less money buys less boat. Or if they do it doesn't matter given their sailing program. Sailboats are a niche market and owners who want boats to last them decades or the rest of their lives smaller still. New boat market continues to divide into the ultra rich willing to pay huge sums for best practices and ultimate durability and the mass production builders. The middle ( Valiant, Sweden yacht, Najad, IP, HR?, PSC? Rustler?) gets smaller and will continue to have difficulty funding R&D, tooling, molds to stay current and maintain market share.
Outbound has benefited from this market contraction as fewer and fewer new boats are offered at reasonable price for the long term/distance cruising couple. Even then although Outbound offers a great 52' whose deck plan was reworked by the esteemed Robert Perry, NA it is out of the price range of this middle new boat market.

1 - 20 of 495 Posts