SailNet Community banner

261 - 280 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I decided to check and see if there was anything new on the IP Owner's web page. Not much, just that they hoped to make an announcement last week or this week.

IPYOA.com/Forum: Island Packet News coming in March (1/1)
I've been checking there also, I sure wish someone in an official capacity from I.P. would say something. Good luck to all involved. Heard another rumor (see rumor) that there would be a company known merely as Blue Jacket come from this.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Wonder who is editing the Wikipedia article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Packet_Yachts

IPY continues in operation as of 24 March 2016 with construction ongoing of boats on order and for inventory for Island Packet, Blue Jacket, and Seaward Yachts. Employees are working and being paid. [5] Suppliers are delivering materials and invoices are being paid. [6]
The footnotes cite to "Personal phone call between editor and staff."

Phew! Glad that this anonymous Wikipedia editor has cleared everything up!

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
I've been checking there also, I sure wish someone in an official capacity from I.P. would say something. Good luck to all involved. Heard another rumor (see rumor) that there would be a company known merely as Blue Jacket come from this.
I wonder if this will become the new Tartan that seems to change owners/names every couple of years. I don't think IP is trying to get out of warranty claims, but it is a long term liability, so often the new owner does not take on the liability of the existing warranties. But I believe jacket was involved in that whole mess back then as well.

Seems strange as IP would seem to have the better reputation and image, even if old school. I will say it seemed to be Ross more than jacket that was the cause of the fall, and almost demise of Tartan, using phrases like "internet terrorist" to describe there customers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I trust my source. Some of y'all don't, or don't trust me, which is fine.

I've written to two AGLCA Harbor Hosts and an SSCA Cruising Station in the area of IPY asking for a working hour drive by and pictures on a weekday.
Curious if you've heard from any of these folks? Any pictures or eyes on?

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
aa- very interesting link and thank you for it.

One notes on this site there's a new thread positing a navigational problem. It requires some understanding of basic math. Understanding trig and spherical trig gives you a different perception when you sit at your multi system display or tablet and plot a transit. Understanding basic weather motive forces gives you a different understanding when you look at gribs. In fact, last night and tonight Chris is giving a webinar exploring when you should not accept grib information in decisions on passages.

So you have a choice. You can cede your independence and intellectual growth by hitting the power switch, in putting what you want and accepting what the black box spits out remaining ignorant of the verocity of the output. Equally, demeaning of your experience can be showed by many life experiences e.g. Walking through the woods with a skilled hunter, or botanist, or biologist, or hydrologist or geologist. All see different things on that walk. All enhance your walk and future walks in different ways. But in order for that to occur you must take the step to labor to understand what they offer.

Know ocean sailors and long term cruisiers who view things differently. All they care is if it works. Only interested in ceding as much as possible so their thoughts, time and labor can be spent on other pursuits.

Pays your money-take your choice.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Curious if you've heard from any of these folks? Any pictures or eyes on?
So still nothing from I.P.? Still nothing from secret sources that can't be named? Anybody hear anything? .......anybody?
I just got a text that confirms what I inferred. Apparently the real scenario is leaking (not from me and not from my source) and the PR should be released shortly. I'm on distribution and when I get it I'll post it here. NFI.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Remember Nixon had " plumbers" in the White House to find the "leaks" . . . so who on this thread might be "deep throat"

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
What did you infer?
I've said before that I won't share what I think I know to avoid messing up ongoing efforts. There appear to be leaks in the industry. They didn't come from me and I believe they did not come from my sources at IPY. I have been told I am on direct distribution for the public release. I think that is a recognition of my honoring commitments.

I can't be the only one slightly perplexed by SVAuspicious's ambiguous devotion to IPY.
Well let me clear up the ambiguity. In 2004 when I was boat shopping the then-new IP370 was on my short list. I developed a lot of relationships with members of the owner's association and with people at the factory. Even though I decided to buy a different boat I have maintained those relationships. There are a lot of good people and good sailors among the IP community just as there are among other communities including the broader boating community. Sure there are always bad apples. There are some here like everywhere else. Check my ignore list.

So when people started spreading rumors I knew to be untrue (or thought I knew and was pretty sure) I shared what I could. I would do the same for any organization in which I have professional friends.

As events have unfolded it appears that what I thought I knew is likely to be correct and the people I trusted to be straight with me have been. I don't care a whit if anyone on SN believes me. I certainly don't care what any of the few people on my ignore list think (obviously not you caberg - you just asked the question that tipped me over the edge).

My intent has been and continues to be to share as much as I can within the bounds of the confidences that have been shared with me. If I don't respect those confidences how can I ever expect anyone to trust me in future? Taunts and allegations regarding motivations and credibility really don't move anyone who really does know anything to want to share it. What kind of kindergarten sandbox is this anyway?

I've told SN that I have a good source and shared what I can. Believe me or not. I don't care. Personal aspersions just make clear the character of the speaker.

261 - 280 of 495 Posts