SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if someone can give me an explaination of the recent IP models. It sure does look like it meets the needs of what we are looking for in our next boat. Im a little confused...a 1999 IP40 can be had for about $225 but a 2000 42' is about $325..I must be missing something as 2 feet LOA and one year cant equate to 100k an 2001 is $370..150k more for 2 feet and 2 years???? Has there been some major redesign is 2000?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
There was a not-so-recent thread on IPs, full of many opinions and even some facts:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36758&highlight=island+packet

I can't answer your question about the price disparity. Some mods I'm aware of were the addition of swim scoops to the transoms, and the switch from concrete/iron slurry ballast to lead. I don't know the exact dates of those changes, but I seem to recall they were discussed in the thread linked above.

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
I think you are making a lot of assumptions:
1. "only 2 feet"...the 42 weighs in at 30k vs. 22klbs. ...on a dollars per pound basis from the price on a same year 42 should be 300k if a 40 sellls for 220k

2. "two years" in a recent model boat there is still significant depreciation year to year.

3. There's a 42 with a sale pending at $329 listing price...my guess is it sold for less.

4. Equipment can vary widely and influence the final price of a boat.

5. Condition can vary greatly. My own boat is listed for $100k more than some others of the same model year. It will cost more to fix them than the price difference. You know nothing about a boats' true worth until you have been on it and even then...until a survey you only have a gut feel.

6. You are dealing with a very limited sample and can't draw legitimate conclusions as to real prices. A broker can give you a printout of boats sold in both models and the prices they went for.

7. Some listings are new with owners/brokers hoping to recover all the money hey put into their boats. Other listings are old and reflect the market...(or closer to it since they still haven't sold).

·
Banned
22 Posts
Island packet

more than gladly help you with all Island Packet question or data on all models I represent Island Packet in the west coast and we have all models , and a lot of history about the line .. it is 28 diffrent models and all ,
terrific people and great product , and they are stand behid there product all the way from the smallest to the big issues..

very unique building process and unparllel resale value , great world cruiser ..

you can contact me at 425 876 9580

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
tamas52, you should probably state that you're a broker.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Thanks CP... ;)

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
more than gladly help you with all Island Packet question or data on all models I represent Island Packet in the west coast and we have all models , and a lot of history about the line .. it is 28 diffrent models and all ,
terrific people and great product , and they are stand behid there product all the way from the smallest to the big issues..

very unique building process and unparllel resale value , great world cruiser ..

you can contact me at 425 876 9580
I do not have a problem with you posting this here since in my opinion that is where this person should go.

However, I will also tell the original poster that there are a lot of other boats besides IP and I would be very curious why they have limited their search to IP, if that is indeed the case. If it is indeed just a matter of general curiosity about IP specifically, they should go to IP and talk to them about it. If you want opinions on what other cruisers think about them, this is the better source.

- CD

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
Sab30...you should know that Tamas52 is not only a broker but one who is not to be trusted. A month or two ago he tried to switch someones opinion on a Tayana to one of several other boats...without mentioning he was a broker and that he had EACH of the used boats he recommended at his brokerage for sale.
I would not consider his opinions to be motivated by a desire to help YOU.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That you so far for the information and thank you for the "broker alert" To shed some light the reason I have begun looking at the IP's are the fact that many people have stated their strength are the same characteristics we are looking for. To this point I havent even been on one but our next boat is about a year and a half off so the search has begun. We are looking for a roomy boat that is more than capable of safe bluewater cruising with very good tankage. To date I have also looked at the Caliber but seems inferior in roominess. Probably no later than a 1999 with min LOA of 38 feet in a $250-300 price range.

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
Well, the IP's are a reasonable choice for what you propose. They are roomy, have good tankage and have quality construction that is capable of standing up to extended blue water use. They also have a great factory support system & hold their value well. the downside which Jeff_H has detailed here at some length (do a search) is their sailing attributes and motion at sea. Personally I would prefer a Caliber for the sailing qualities but you give up some space and lose the support system. Other choices which meet both your monetary and age of boat requirements and are capable blue water boats in your size range are:
Saga 43 Moody 42 Tayana 42 Tartan4100 Moody 40cc
There are lots of older boats which would be worth looking at but I've tried to honor your requirements.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
This latent advertising would make you sic.

It's interesting that Island Packet "stand behid there product" (sic)

I look forward to reading that in there (sic) manual.

sic : "so throughout", from the latin meaning "thus", or "so".

Rockter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didnt understand one thing Rockter said or is implying?? Thanks Cam..yes the Caliber was a very close second but each my wife and I are allowed one non negotiable to agree to an extended sail..can you guess what hers was...roominess...so I am trying to honor that while seeking a very well built boat capable of what I described above with good tankage. In fairness I havent looked to closely at the Tanyana but of course this is why my search begins now.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Pacific Seacraft is a lot smaller than a Caliber. If one wants room in a 40' boat, Delphi 40 has more room than most 50' boats I have been on. While the boat is not my cup of tea, I have sailed one and found it to be a good solid boat. Takes a lot of air to get it moving but so does an IP. I taught three women on one and the boat is easy to manage. A new one goes for around 240k's I believe. Of course everyone knows my choice of boats here would be a Caliber or Valiant. But I have serious bluewater cruising in my veins. One thing he didn't mention or I missed it was "How does he intent to sail the boat and where?"
I like IP boats or at least the newer ones with the modified full foil keel. However, I am not a fan of the new 37. The aft cabin and nav station is too weird for me. I consider IP company looking for cause. They cannot seems to make up their minds on design which makes me wonder on how they are made. They either seem to be chasing the market or have design flaws that they are always correcting.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Caliber was at the top of my list but it was explained that the same LOA IP would have significant more room, yet I have heard that Calibers have a TON of storage space available. This is prelimenary research as I havent been on either but I do need to narrow it down as I cant be flying all over the country looking at boats. I though I would narrow my focus to 1 or 2 and then veiw them accordingly then remove them if that is not what we wanted. We plan to live and sail on the boat (notice the order) :) It will do the majority of coastal sailing but I DO want a boat that has good reveiws for bluewater when we do need to make our crossings. Again the price range is $250-300 of something newer than a 1999 around the 40" LOA with good tankage a room..sailing charateristics are important but not at the TOP of the list. The reviews seem to indicate that one gets more boat with a Caliber as it relates to price..I dont know how accurate this is.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Caliber was at the top of my list but it was explained that the same LOA IP would have significant more room, yet I have heard that Calibers have a TON of storage space available. This is prelimenary research as I havent been on either but I do need to narrow it down as I cant be flying all over the country looking at boats. I though I would narrow my focus to 1 or 2 and then veiw them accordingly then remove them if that is not what we wanted. We plan to live and sail on the boat (notice the order) :) It will do the majority of coastal sailing but I DO want a boat that has good reveiws for bluewater when we do need to make our crossings. Again the price range is $250-300 of something newer than a 1999 around the 40" LOA with good tankage a room..sailing charateristics are important but not at the TOP of the list. The reviews seem to indicate that one gets more boat with a Caliber as it relates to price..I dont know how accurate this is.
I like the Calibers better. The only thing I do not like is the Nav station. It is a bit squirelly. But the boat seem very well made and are very solid.

When you say crossings... what do you mean? Across the Atlantic/Pacific? This always turns into a steaming debate on this board, and I do nt mean to sound like I am redirecting you, but for liveability on a coastal cruiser get a coastal cruiser. If you plan to make more than a few days offshore (depending on the boat) you may want to consider something more 'bluewater' capable. I have absolutely no problem taking my 40 foot Catalina across the gulf/Bermuda/Carribean, etc. rossing the Atlantic or Pacific would not be my first choice... though I might consider it.

Of all the boats in that range that I have been on so far (and there have been a BUNCH of them), I have found the Tayana 42 the most to my liking. It seems a good compromise between liveability and safety. I am not sure what the number would be though... you can pick up an old one (like 1988/89) under 200, but I assume the new ones will be much more than your budget.

- CD

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Again the price range is $250-300 of something newer than a 1999 around the 40" LOA with good tankage a room..sailing characteristics are important but not at the TOP of the list. The reviews seem to indicate that one gets more boat with a Caliber as it relates to price..I don't know how accurate this is.
You will not find better tankage or storage than on a Caliber period in the 40' range. I am not sure what your definition on tankage is. There are as many opinions here as to that subject. Mine is the boat needs a minimum of 500 NM plus reserve for bluewater cruising which usually equates to 100 gals or more.
To see lots of boats in one setting, one needs to go to a boat show. Miami is next in Feb I believe. I am not sure where you are located but big sail areas have lots of marine brokers. Annapolis, Miami, Newport and SoCal area for example. I do have to caution SoCal sailors have different requirements in their sailing market and therefore, not many of the traditional bluewater boats you will find there vs the east coast market. Mostly production boats like Catalina, Hunter and Bennie toys.
I would strongly urge you to charter a boat before you lay out major dollars. IP's can be chartered in Florida and the BVI. Caliber I believe one can charter in San Francisco. Let me know if you need the website.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good points...I need to learn to clarify..but in terms of crossings..how about anywhere we want to go without hesitation as our exact journey has not been entirely mapped out and is "subject to change" I just dont want to be restricted..safety and comfort both living and sailing is my priority..we dont like to "be on the hook" and we enjoy the large tankage, specifically water so we dont have to constantly worry about our provision..hell even have the odd hot shower..:) For water I really would want a 150 g tank also to accomodate any visitors..well I know I am close because I have always thought of my next boat as an IP, Caliber or Tayana...

I live on the West Coast Canada and we do have a large boat show in VAncouver in the spring which I plan on attending...

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Being just a wee bit biased I'll second what CD said about the Tayana. On top of it's roominess it has tremendous storage which sounds like it should be of importance to you. The Passport 40 has a similar amount of room and also great storage and is worth a look but most have teak decks.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts