SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an Islander 29 (1969), sailed in the Chesapeake Bay.
I bought the boat in 2010.
I had the boat pulled 2 weeks ago and see that the rudder is broken near the top.
It looks as though the rudder may have been broken before in this same area.

Any recommendations for the best method to repair this issue.
Also, what is the process to remove the rudder?

Attachments

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
I feel like you need a good scolding! 2010 and you just now are finding out the rudder is busted??

Wheel or tiller?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me rephrase...
It was not broken when I launched the boat in 2010.
I believe it broke sometime this year in the past several months, possibly after a bad storm or after some really good sailing!

And I have a tiller!!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Oh and hey.. welcome to sailnet!
Most tiller boats the tiller head holds up the rudder post. on wheeled boats, it's a bit more complicated, some are cable some are geared. Your rudder has bronze hardware in the skeg keel that you will need to dig out and try to lget apart, also. others that did the deed may know better as I'm guessing it it's remove the tiller head. lift and drop out type of deal.

Photos will be the best way for the guys here to help you out! I use photobucket so they can be full size.

If it broke at the top the bottom has to be even worse. you may want to start by drilling holes in the bottom of the rudder and get the water draining. if it's brown syrup like it's the structural foam inside breaking down.

·
GreatKetch33
56 Posts
I suggest having the rudder inspected internally; may need to cut skin away; may need to redo foam inside; may need to add support bars.

Holes in rudder may give you some hint of problem but problems may exist unknown to the eye.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.