SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help. I'm currently looking at 1985 Islander 30 Mk II. The boat appears to be in pretty good shape. I know Islanders have a reputation for problems with their compression post sinking or moving. On this boat the post appears fine, but the doorframe to the head, which is hinged to the bulkhead next to the post, is out of alignment and the door will not close. The broker stated this is simply because the boat is sitting in its cradle and not afloat. That made sense, but I'm concerned this could be a symptom of a compression post problem. I'm looking for any insight or something I can check prior to moving on to a professional survey.

·
Registered
21,598 Posts
If the broker is so certain of that, see if they'll add something about it to the purchase contract. One idea is, if the door does not properly close upon launching, the seller pays cost incurred. Another may be a contractual obligation to fix it, at sellers cost, if it doesn't. The standard contract only allows either party to walk away, if issues like this are identified.

Brokers all know the best way to increase the odds of a deal is to get the boat surveyed. Most buyers, once invested in the survey, have a hard time walking away and are more likely to negotiate. Stay focused.

p.s. looks like you created another identical threads, which is against forum rules and waters down feedback, if others don't see what has already been posted elsewhere. For example, someone may see this reply and improve upon it. Go to the other, click Edit, then delete at the bottom, then confirm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts