SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for Islander 32 owners who may have ran lines aft. Seeing how you laid it out. Wanting to run main and reefing lines aft. Has external halyards. Mark II version. Or others ideas how they got their lines back. Trying to decide between single turn blocks, some type of mast plates to add blocks. Any ideas. Thanks

Thisisus
Islander 32
Mobile AL

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
While I don't have an Islander 32, I have done this project. I would highly recommend using some sort of mast plates, especially if the mast is deck stepped and you can modify the deck mast step with a collar or add plates to it as I did.

Also, I highly recommend using a two-line reefing system, rather than a one-line, even though it requires a bit more hardware. The reason for this is that you get better sail shape control out of a two line reefing system than you do with single line reefing.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one is a keel stepped mast, but adding a collar would still be possible. Our last one had a deck stepped and we had to make a new step. When we did we add some tabs off the front and back to attach blocks. Worked great. Also agree with the two line reef. We tried a single on this one and with all the loads was always difficult to get right. Did the two line and was actually faster once you practiced. Also like you said the sail shape was much better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts