SailNet Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Worked there myself in the early 70's, don't remember if I came SolCat to Islander or left Islander for SolCat, 60's & 70's is still a blur.

Bought and restored a 69 Excliber a few years ago, it was still a solid boat and a blast to sail, wish I still had it

·
howdymcguff
2 Posts
i ve a 33 islander at coosbay its a projeck boat i need a trailer to get it to puget sound you can se it AT(craigs list ( oregon coast )ive told the wife it will always have a price on it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jeff,
would you happen to know if an Islander Wayfarer from 1965 is an outboard or if it has an engine?
I dont know anything about sailboats and I inherited this boat when my father recently passed away. I'm looking to sell it but as people approach me with these sorts of questions I have no idea what to answer.

Thanks for your time!

·
Administrator
9,049 Posts
Hi Jeff,
would you happen to know if an Islander Wayfarer from 1965 is an outboard or if it has an engine?
I dont know anything about sailboats and I inherited this boat when my father recently passed away. I'm looking to sell it but as people approach me with these sorts of questions I have no idea what to answer.

Thanks for your time!
As I said in your other thread....I believe that the earliest Wayfarer 29's had a Gray Marine inboard gas engine, but that Islander switched over to Universal Atomic 4 inboard gas engines at some point. I do not recall whether the 29 was available with an outboard well.

The other thing is that the original engine would be over 50 years old and most of the engines of those days were raw water cooled (meaning that they ran seawater through the engine to cool it), so it is highly possible that the original engine has been replaced or had a major rebuild. That would be very important to a seller and might add value to the boat.

My strongest advice is to find someone who knows sailboats to go through the boat and help you put together an advertisement that accurately describes the boat and its equipment. In general, the more complete and accurate the description, the faster the boat will sell and the better its price. That person should also be able to help you set a reasonable asking price. Old sailboats have surprisingly small values unless they are really in great shape.

You do not say where the boat is located, but it may be possible to get someone from SailNet to take a look at the boat and assist you. Also if the boat is in a boat yard, the yard my be willing to assist you as well.

Good Luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello anyone still paying attention to this thread. I have a islander 33 and just lost my rudder due to a gudgeon fail at sea. it was fatigued I"m sure. but I am looking to replace the rudder and on this thread a Davidson rudder was used as a replacement by Jack Ford. Anyone know how to contact Jack Ford? I am interested in this as a replacement too.

thanks
Taylor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Islander 33

I worked for Islander in the 1970's and am very familiar with the 33. A friend of mine, Jack Ford, bought an old 33, completely rebuilt it and sailed it around the world. This was in 2004-2007. He singlehanded the boat and had no major problems with it. The 33, like all Islanders of that vintage, was a good boat structurally, but the rigging and systems need to be upgraded. One change that Jack made that vastly improved the sailing qualities of the boat was that he removed the old keel-hung rudder and installed a beefy spade rudder that was taken off a Davidson 44. It made the underbody of the boat look a lot like a Cal 40...Long (very long) fin keel with a spade rudder. Jack left from Long Beach, CA and returned to Long Beach about 3 years later. Prior to the Islander 33, Jack owned a beautiful cold molded Farr 52 called Zamazaan. We sailed that boat to a 3rd in class in the '87 Transpac. A few years later, when Chuck Weghorn owned the boat, we sailed it to a first in class in the '93 Cabo San Lucas race.

I am interested in this rudder upgrade any chance you know how to get a hold of Jack? I would love to hear about how he went about converting the rudder.

thanks

Taylor

21 - 27 of 27 Posts