a pic of one of the chainplate holes Im filing away and beveling in order for the sealant and or butyl tape do a better job...Im enlarging them slightly so no sharp corners or bumps hit the chain plate and create stress cracks and Im also sealing them with epoxy first then beveling and filing again to shape...with my dremel and rat tail files.
notice that the deck is dry(yay) the wood itself, and if you have a good eye you can see the closed cell foam we used as a spacer between the top of the sealed bulkhead AND the cabin roof or top
tabbing will be added on both sides of chainplate, to the hull on the sides and the bottom has been reinforced too with glass and later on screws into the tabbing and bulkhead....
this HOPEFULLY will be much much stronger than original...tabbing was very very minimal on this pafrticular bulkhead this bulkead had a broken chainplate as it stretched beyond its limit due to water logged and damaged bulkhead
MOORING but yeah a pain in the ass...but we have a friend with a nice honda genny...with all power tools needed like drills and sanders and even a shop vac
the tedious part is taking stuff to and from the boat
we just had a small volcano eruption in the east of the country and we had just rolled on the non skid gelcoat soooooooooooo ash is not a nice non skid ingredient soooooooooooooooooooooooo we will have to put on more gelcoat!
regarding that Im open to suggestions on what cheap non skid item like filtered sand I can paint on top of the gelcoat...basically the gelcoat is just a bottom primer...I need to add non skid as its VERY rubbed off at this point
My Admiral has said to me "I thought we didn't buy a project boat" (because I do a fair amount of neglected maintenance). I showed her this project so now she understands what an undertaking a "refit" or project boat really is.
How long do you think it will take? What kind of temps do you have in the boat while working?
it has taken 5 months of ripping out, people getting lazy...workers out of money blah blah blah...we started in september
most of the hardwork is already done...for example you might think its easy but ripping out old wood and glass work is tedious and slow...the cabin sides are now painted and Im seing whether I like it white and clean or with vynil like stock
I think Ill do paint and fair it...
Ill post a pic of my new MASSIVE chainplates too
instead of 1/4 inch I went 3/8ths...longer and wider to distribute loads better and you would not beleive the price(labor is cheap)
removing an engine
next is rigging(thats all me)
overall nothing is extremely hard just tedious
oh there is nice offshore breaze now every day 15 knots so quite decent no need for fans...and its not humid...but dry salty air...which is good
what a little paint does to cheer up the cabin and your soul!
I have decided to leave the cabin sides bare...this is cheap oil based paint and I will be using sherwin williams JET BOND which is a plastic flexible bondo type paste that I will use to smooth the crappy job islander did back in the 70s
its impressive how unfinished most interior surfaces are in the cabin, next a pic of original tabbing versus NEW
last pic for now, port main bulkhead installed and filleted, next will be grinding and tabbing as well as adding the lower part with tabbing to the hull itself
the new plate was designed to tie both peices together with the lower bolt that way maintenance and access is better plus if one part of the bulkhead fails or gets wet it can be removed and replaced whereas before you had to do major removing of parts