SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Islander Yacht Fan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a newly acquired IB30 (1981) and am having an issue with the main hatch - would someone with one of these boats please post a picture of the main hatch in the closed position so I can see how far aft the hatch should be when fully closed. Does the top hatch rest on top of the interlocking boards in the cabin entrance? Mine is leaking and I think the hatch is not closing all the way - but before I try to fix it, I'd like to know how it is supposed to be.

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I make it over to mine I will take a photo this weekend. I just had new hatchboards built for mine and the companionway hatch does rest on the top hatchboard. When I first received the new boards I had to have a little shaved off of the top board as it was a little too tall, and the hatch wouldn't close.

I can tell you that the top hatch board is just about flush the the top of the companionway hatch as I have a padlock hatch on the top board that attaches to the companionway hatch.

When not using the padlock it is possible to pull the companionway far enough that in overhangs the hatch boards.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I don't have an Islander but on any boat with drop boards and a slider on thr cabin top the slider has to overlap the vertical boards otherwise it is not a dry closure.

·
Islander Yacht Fan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the replies - I'd still love to see a picture, but this confirms my earlier suspicions..

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Here's a pic of a well designed companionway - not mine but on a Morris Linda.

Attachments

·
19,489 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts