SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

I'm a Southern California daysailer looking to buy either an Islander 26 or a Catalina 27. The Islander is a little pricier, nine years older, and one foot shorter. Also, the Catalina has a roller furling jib, the Islander does not. At first glance everything else looks comparable - wear and tear, age of rigging, sail condition, deck condition, age of outboard, etc. From what I read the Islander has thicker construction (it predates the 1973 oil crisis) and may be a sweeter sailor than the Catalina. Any input gratefully received - thank you!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
What are your plans for the boat?
I can't speak for the sailing characteristics of one over the other but the livability of the Catalina is way better than the Islander. You'd be surprised how much extra room one more foot of length and one more foot of beam will give you. Just a guess, but the C27 probably has a little more headroom as well.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Have you been on a C27, it's a great boat. The first time I step onto one I was shocked how much larger it was than a C25....amazing actually....I'm only 5'9" and could not stand up on a C25 and could walk around without worry of smacking my head on the C27.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Daysailing and weekending at Catalina is the plan...and yes, the Islander headroom is very poor in comparison...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
hearsay about the islander 26 excalibur, BOTH are light build, the excalibur 26 is a flexi flier and will surf downwind, very lightly built hull...however you ar right as in it predates cored hulls and such so its glassed heavier with resin, NOT glass.

its the baby cal 40

the catalina 27 is a perfect weekender for a couple plus its newer and morre roomy

selection of boat depends on END USEAGE not hearsay or gossip

both boats have pros and cons

cons for the escalibur 26 is floppy keel(has one broken? no)

cons for cat 27 are bad keel bolts(cat sells a keel bolt kit, needed? who knows)

pro for the excalibur 26 fast downind flier...surfs...extremely maneuverable...spade rudder

pros for cat 27 more headroom, beamier, more comfy, more weekender useage, "nicer" interrior layout and construction, more newb friendly.

there is a huge difference in intended purpose of both designs

this is my 2cents as a po owner of an excalibur 26 that I restored and sailed and familiarity with the cat 27.

good luck

Reactions: britnews

·
Registered
514 Posts
I owned an Excalibur 26 long ago, and while it could be fun to sail, and was stable with a nice deep keel, it did have issues with the outboard in a well arrangement and flexing on the keel. I would lean much to the Catalina, as support and supplies and advice would be far more available. I would be very dubious about original rigging, and we had to reinforce the chain plates. I was not sure how solid the bulkheads were either. Any boat that old will have issues. I would also look at things like whether or not it has roller furling, and if so, how solid is it. The Excalibur did not have that as standard. On that boat we had roller reefing on the mainsail, a system long since abandoned by almost everyone since it made reefing exceedingly difficult. Needless to say condition is crucial, and as others have said, the right boat for you will depend on the planned usage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I currently own an Excalibur 26 and came out of a partnership on a Cat 27 when buying the Excalibur. My take--the Excalibur is the better sailing boat, the Catalina has more room below, more room for sleeping, more room for storage and much better headroom. If mooring camping is your plan, the Catalina is the better choice. If you want to beat Catalina 27s in a race, get the Excalibur.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Ended up buying the Excalibur 26. She sails like a dream, so very happy so far!

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
hell yeah! jajajaja

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
post some pics guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts