SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm sharing a video of our 7- day sailing adventure to Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior. Our trip begins and ends in Bayfield, WI. The video is full of stable, HD scenes of the Apostle Islands, Lake Superior passage making, anchorages and harbors on the west end and north side of Isle Royale, moose, sailing and hiking in the park.

Yes, it's our personal vacation video but it's produced with high quality editing, it tells the complete story of the trip and will be informative to anyone who is planning a sailing excursion to the park.The first part of our video is about our road trip to get to Bayfield but if you scan ahead you will find the sailing begins around the 17 minute mark.

Enjoy!

·
Old soul
5,127 Posts
Ah, Lake Superior … I still miss it. Stunningly beautiful, rugged and lightly travelled. I spent over a decade sailing and cruising those waters, although ironically I never went to Isle Royale. Sailed past and through the waters many times, but never stopped because of all the rules.

In fact that's what my cruising buddies up on the Canadian shore called it: Isle Rules. ;) But I wouldn't let that stop people. Definitely go - it's all beautiful.

Nice video. Cute kids. Beautiful scenery. Neat to see some of our old stomping grounds. We actually bought our current boat at the Madaline Island Yacht Club (marina). Spent some quality time there before sailing through the Apostles and back up to Thunder Bay.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I can't wait to watch this video when I get home tonight!

Isle Royale is on my list. I have the charts for it, it looks beautiful.

I could probably do it in my Catalina 22 by trailering up to Grand Portage. But I'd sure hate to be stuck over there in a 22' boat if the weather went bad...

I'll just have to talk Superior Charters into letting me take one of their boats outside of the Apostles.

·
Old soul
5,127 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Old soul
5,127 Posts
Wow, that looks amazingly remote!

Do you see moose?
Sometimes. There is a decent herd of caribou on the Slate Islands, which is fairly close to Rossport. I've even come across bears swimming from island to island, or across various straights.

This area is now part of the world's largest fresh water marine conservation area.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/amnc-nmca/on/super

But don't worry. There are no park fees, and few special rules (not sure if there are any).

It's a really great area for small boats like yours because of the relatively protected waters, and the multitude of good anchorages. But you are fairly remote, and there's not much in the way of marina support. There is a good village dock in Rossport, and last time I was there it still had pump out and fresh water. No fuel though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts