SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Robertson 200 Sail Autopilot that came with my CSY 44 when I bought her 16 years ago. She has performed flawlessly under sail or power until the last month.

Turn AP on to auto setting, picks up compass heading and steers well for about 2 minutes, then starts acting like low on juice, getting farther and farther off course. All connections good, have good voltage to control head, low voltage coming back.
Rapped wrench on HLD 2000L Hydraulic motor and started moving again with LOUD grinding noise and heavy clicking when initiating corrections to ram. Reservoir was 2/3 full with oil and no sign of leaks.

Has anyone rebuilt HLD 2000 or know if it's rebuildable? Has anyone ever had this issue with ROBERTSON or any other autopilot? System has been great, have great reputation, and salvaging it would be my only option for now.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not able to give any advice, but I do have a Robinson Shipmate with the 2000 hydraulic drive with about the same age as yours. It worked fine for a number of years, but a couple of years ago it gave up the ghost. No power getting to the unit. Need to put a voltage meter on various connections to see if it might be as simple as a loose conncetion. I even thought about contacting Simrad to see if a new computer head unit might be a good upgrade keeping the hydraulic drive unit. Many projects to work on lately and this is low on the list at present. Still would like to hear any remedies that you come up with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts