SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my auxiliary diesel and marinised Isuzu diesels seem to have a good name all over. Do members have an opinion on this? And if so, my choice would be either the 4LC1 4 cylinder 38 hp or the 3CD1 3 cylinder 35.5 hp. Both ratings at 3000 rpm. 3 larger cylinders or 4 smaller cylinders? More complexity or more vibration?
Thanks. Bill

·
Don Radcliffe
398 Posts
There are Isuzu powered trucks (and Isuzu parts) ALL over the world. However, I did see a boat in Cyprus with an Isuzu where the timing belt had broken and resulted in serious damage. I would avoid motors with timing belts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
May I suggest that you consider the BETA MARINE diesels that use the Kubota blocks. They are reliable and the easiest to maintain, e.g. the integrated oil change sump pump. Everything on these engines is accessible. I have the Beta 14, 2 cylinders with 13.5 bhp weighing in at only 94 Kg in my Ericson 27. The engine is designed as a drop-in replacement for the Atomic 4. I am no motor-head, but it is a straightforward engineering application. They have a family of greater horsepower engines and gensets. It's worth a visit. The web address is Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
May I suggest that you consider the BETA MARINE diesels that use the Kubota blocks. They are reliable and the easiest to maintain, e.g. the integrated oil change sump pump. Everything on these engines is accessible. I have the Beta 14, 2 cylinders with 13.5 bhp weighing in at only 94 Kg in my Ericson 27. The engine is designed as a drop-in replacement for the Atomic 4. I am no motor-head, but it is a straightforward engineering application. They have a family of greater horsepower engines and gensets. It's worth a visit. The web address is Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine.
Can you go over the costs of your repower?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clarity repower

Hi Night Owl. Zenith Engineering marinise Isuzu diesels here in Brisbane, Oz, and advise that the fine for a 35 hp is $15k ozdolls and the 53hp is $16k, both with a full VDO panel and wiring harness. A 40hp marinised Kubota from either Nanni or Wichard Marine here in Oz runs to around $14-$15k
A base Kubota industrial 46hp engine here is $6.5k; ZF box around $2.5k; Orca marinising kit around $2.5k and Murphy instrumentation $900 = about $12.5k if I do the work myself.
It's not a lot compared to the overall value of the ship, but it involves a bit of saving for the skipper. Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts