SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I joined Sailnet as a 21 year old on a dial up modem who wanted to sail the world it was initially to ask a question or two about how to get my little boat sailing properly.

15 years later and forums, blogs and websites (Sailnet chiefly amongst them) have played a huge role in my growth as a sailor.

Lately however I find myself only drawn into controversial threads and in doing so i'm also starting to take everything and anything personally and well and truly to heart.

While there is great wisdom in the rough and tumble of forums I find I now struggle to count my participation as either comfortable or constructive.

In real life I am a dreamer, a pragmatic one to be sure but a dreamer none the less. The cynicism of forums( and it is true of them all IMHO) no matter how justified sits rather uncomfortably with me sometimes. Rather than this being a criticism of Sailnet it is more a statement of where I am at that I am deciding for a time at least to give forums etc a break and just go sailing.

We as a family are about to embark on a new chapter, an exciting chapter however we are making the decision to do this offline.

Some here may not like what we are doing next. Thats ok and it's best not to trouble them with it. I will continue to be accountable to the people who matter in my life for what matters.

So folks while we will be out there we will not be on here for a bit at least. If you are out there we look forward to meeting you having a beer and a chat.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
wish to see you out there man! wish you all the luck with the kids and family and on a personal note thanks for the heads up when I got on here too...I remember it clearly.

safe sailing and safe seas...

peace
christian

·
3,506 Posts
Coldie cup awaiting your arrival!

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Understand completely, Chall, mate. :)

If ever you're down this way, look me up (I'll be seeing Bent in November!) and, at very least, do keep in touch with 'Ol Fuzzy otherwise we'll worry that you've gone and got yourself lost somewhere on some deserted island... :eek:

Enjoy your walk(sail)about and my best wishes to you and your family.

Cheers,
Cameron

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
I get it as well. Avoiding threads becomes as important as reading the ones that really help you. Have a great time with your upcoming family plans. May we meet out there when our family finally takes off ourselves.

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm Back.

The cyber cleanse was a good. I really recommend it but I miss this place :)

I did also go sailing. Just Sailing.

That is rather than trying to reach a destination, I spent more time just well, sailing. It's not something I have done a lot lately and it took me back my those magical few months after I bought my first boat when it was just an absolute joy to be out on the water having some fun.

I also nearly bought a very expensive boat on the other side of the world which we were intending on sailing back downunder. Sadly it wasn't to be. The boat had issues and although I had to let go of a huge dream of mine (for the time being) in the end everything was saying walk away, so we did.

So we are back home, with a plan to head north next year on Iolanthe and again explore the Australian East Coast and Great Barrier Reef.

·
19,488 Posts
Welcome back Chall

I missed your original post here, back in July.. that's the middle of our annual summer 6-8 week 'disengagement' from Sailnet and all things on-line. I know what you mean; it's always a bit of a 'should I or shouldn't I' get back into it all after that. The break is always nice.

Also nice to have you back.

Reactions: jerryrlitton

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome back Chall

I missed your original post here, back in July.. that's the middle of our annual summer 6-8 week 'disengagement' from Sailnet and all things on-line. I know what you mean; it's always a bit of a 'should I or shouldn't I' get back into it all after that. The break is always nice.

Also nice to have you back.
Thanks Faster!

Always love your writeups and the photos of your summer cruises.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hey, isn't it summer cruise time down there?
Where did you sail, what did you see, were you with family?????? I used to pray for a sabbatical from responsibility. Let us vicariously enjoy yours, photos and all.
John

·
3,506 Posts
I was expecting to see you cruise in and claim the rights to the "Coldie Cup" any day now. Looks like JerryL may be the closest to winning the Auld Mug.

Did you get up to Lizard Island on your cruise?

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Lizard Island next year, will leave Sydney in about March and meander our way up. If all is well will try and get up to the Louisaides.
Gee whiz.. some people have an easy life! :rolleyes: :p

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's tough for sure.

Sometimes at Lizard it can blow 30 knots SE for days and days and amongst all the snorkelling, fishing, fun and general merrymaking you can run out of beer real quick while waiting for the opportunity to duck back across and reprovision.

It's a hard life, but someone has to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts