SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Herreshoff/Vaitses Meadowlark
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have an odd boat...

I mean, how many boats do you see with leeboards outside of the Netherlands?

So I was in the boat, today, with it in it's trailer in the marina parking lot, working on the masts. I'm replacing the standing rigging with Dyneema, and that will involve bringing the masts up and down a few times. Fortunately, with the masts hinged on the tabernacles that's pretty easy. Unfortunately, getting the masts mounted to the pedestals after they've been dismounted for travel is not. Still, that's done,

Anyway, I was crawling around on the boat and this young guy pulled up and asked if she is a Meadow Lark.

Yes, she is. Not to L. Francis' original 33' wood design, but one of Alan Vaitses 37' stretched version in fiberglass.

I was more than a little surprised. Yes, the Herreshoff name still has magic, but that's more for the father Nathanael than the son Lewis Francis.

Yes, L. Francis published the design in his book "Sensible Cruising Designs", but that was published in 1946. It's been reprinted a few times, but the last was 30 years ago.

And as for Vaitses' fiberglass version, he made maybe twenty of them, 40+ years ago.

I'd not expect many 20-somethings to be familiar with them.

I didn't buy this boat because it was famous, and it wasn't priced like it was famous. Should I expect people to be recognizing it?

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Don't know where you are located, but in New England, this type of boat isn't rare at all. And (ahem), Herreshoff isn't unheard of there either (cough, cough)...

We are currently in Long Island Bahamas, and there is a leeboard boat anchored near us.

Mark

·
Registered
Herreshoff/Vaitses Meadowlark
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know where you are located, but in New England, this type of boat isn't rare at all. And (ahem), Herreshoff isn't unheard of there either (cough, cough)...

We are currently in Long Island Bahamas, and there is a leeboard boat anchored near us.

Mark
I'm currently on Lake Pepin in Minnesota, and this boat really doesn't belong here. She belongs in the Keys or the Bahamas.

My goal is to get her there in not too many years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts