SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Reaction score
It's pretty simple. They dump you in, you hope that nothing leaks and that your engine starts.

Before going in I would:
* Test and lube all through hulls. Replace bad ones.
* Change oil and gear oil on your outboard. This is a lot easier on the hard.
* Update bottom paint (I'm assuming it hasn't been done in the last 2 years).
* Make sure there isn't an open garboard plug (or whatever those keel plugs are called).
* Check rudder. It shouldn't have any play, the bushings should be in good condition, etc.

That's the stuff that is really hard to do once you are in the water.

When they drop you in the water inspect all through hull hoses to make sure they don't leak. Make sure nothing else is leaking. Start engine and go away.

If the boat wasn't used in 2013 then make sure it has a current registration sticker. You'll need a new 2014 one before June 30th.

2,309 Posts
Reaction score
My list was minimalist and made sure that the through hulls worked, because then hoses can safely be replaced after he is in the water. His boat has an outboard, so no through hulls are necessary for the engine to work.

With more time I would inspect all through hole hoses and make sure that everything has double hose clamps as well. It sounded like he wanted the shortest possible safe list, and you can do the inspection after launching if you make sure all valves work and that through hull valves are closed.

2,309 Posts
Reaction score
northoceanbeach is somewhere in Western WA (his "California or Bust" is based on where he is going). Almost all boats stay in year round here, there is rarely a queue for Travel Lift time. I don't think he'll have to worry too much about them rushing the job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.