SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a boat with a problem. The keel bolts is completely rotted (the front one absolutely flat), is this the final, or possible repair? I tried to find owner manual or other information, but didn't find.

Please any advice, thanks in advance!

Rectangle Wood Material property Water Fixture

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The cracks in the keel stub bottom indicate that the keel bolts were incapsulated with a resin (covered over)
If so you would have to dig some out to find the nuts if the bottom is reinforced fiberglass the cracks are serious and would have to be rebuilt
The keel bolts if rusted off could be replaced but it will be expensive

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for comments!

Neighbor looks like this. Same bench.
Wood Automotive exterior Hardwood Wood stain Plywood

I think I need to change the bolts, and I'm scared. I can’t find any service/owner manuals for j/22 and it’s also scary, no body know what is inside the keel, and what is expect.

The cracks in the keel stub bottom indicate that the keel bolts were incapsulated with a resin (covered over)
If so you would have to dig some out to find the nuts if the bottom is reinforced fiberglass the cracks are serious and would have to be rebuilt
The keel bolts if rusted off could be replaced but it will be expensive

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The keel is solid lead with keel bolts cast in. The keel would have to separated from the hull. The bolts would be removed from the lead by cutting out of the lead and replaced very expensive. There are methods to sister in new bolts but would require some engineering and work done by experienced person and not cheap

·
Super Moderator
4,459 Posts
Looks like the keelbolts need to be replaced or reinforced with new ones. Beneteau keelbolts are often replaced, so shipyards are familiar with how to do it, though their cast iron keels make removing the old bolts easier. Removing the keel and the old bolts in a lead keel is a bigger undertaking though, since the bolts were likely cast into the lead keel when it was poured. Are you in the UAE? Don't know what facilities might be readily available there. Since this is a J/22, it might be possible to dry out the bilge/keel joint area and simply drill new bolt holes about the same size as the old ones down into the lead keel near where the old ones were. Then drive a hanger-bolt -- something like this : 3/8" , but bigger, so that it bites into the lead, into the new holes you've drilled. Put some sealant in there too. Once the new hanger bolts are well seated in the holes, new washers and nuts on the tops, snugged down nicely, should keep things going for a good while. Try to keep the bilge drier, to avoid this problem recurring. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wind Friends, thanks for the information and most importantly HOPE - very grateful!

I will compare my well depth with other J/22 and if mine is less, then the bolts is inside (under gel-coat or something).
If same, I will pay ….

I’ll let you know after test!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The company is still in business. J/Boats- Better Sailboats for People Who Love Sailing.
Ask them. Your model may have an owners' group on line, too.

Also, your bio here is empty. Complete your sig line with boat model and sailing area. This will really help others help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts