SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,210 Posts
I raced J-22's for over a decade. I really love these boats. They are comparatively easy boats to sail until the wind approaches 20 knots or you are sailing in a short steep chop (2-3 feet high and less than 35-40 feet apart.) They do take some skill to sail well since they have a pretty large sail plan for their stability. They do have an adjustable back stay and you need to learn to use it. You can play around under mainsail alone, and they sail pretty well under mainsail alone, but they sail better with both sails up. Sailing under mainsail alone has been our storm strategy. (There is an oddity to the J22 in that the jib will try to raise itself when beating into heavy air. In survival conditions we took a line from the jib head/jib halyard down to the bow cleat to hold the sail down to the deck. We had shock chord permanently rigged that could be snapped across the deck and hold the dropped sail on deck. )

I don't think any of the J-22's around here have an outboard motor. We sail thm in and out if there is wind and we rock them to scull home. I've rock sculled one well over a mile.
The hardest part of crane launching a J-22 is getting out between the legs of the trailer without damaging the keel. Doing this with two people is tricky and means passing off the jobs back between the two. It is very easy with three.

To do this with two, one person starts by holding a bow and stern line and the hoist control line. That person fixes the angle of the boat and the angle of the hoist arm. The other person starts with the hoist control and lifts until the boat is as high as it will need to lifted. Then the person on the lift control takes the lines from the other person, and the person who had the control lines goes under the boat and guides the keel past any hazards on the trailer. Once the boat is clear of the trailer the person who was under the boat takes the lift control and lowers the boat when the time comes while the other person guides the boat in the water and fends off.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts