SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to replace our head and after more than 20 years of using various models with manual pumps, we are considering going electric. I have 2 options available right now. One of them is the Jabsco-12v-Electric-Conversion unit.

What I like about this option is that if it begins to cause problems, I can easily replace it with a matching manual unit. But I'd like to hear from anyone who has used it and what their experience is?

Would you recommend this?

Manny

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
I don't have experience with the conversion kit, but I have three heads, each with an electric jabsco head.

The positives are clear. Since they have a macerator on the waste pump, they flush better than a manual. They are also easier for non-sailing guests to figure out, compared to the manual switching between water-in, waste-out. It's not the ideal way to keep effluent out of the hoses, however, by pressing the 'both" button, the head fills and flushes simultaneously. I then go in after guests leave to flush a good slug of clean water.

However, the downside is when the electronics fail. My boat is now 10 years old and I'm having intermittant issues with each of them. I've had to replace switches from corroded connections. That one appeared after a guest loaded the bowl with water and their personal waste. Not fun.

I've now burned out two waste pumps. Again, you're dead in the water.

I've toyed with the idea of upgrading them all, but can't really justify the big expense. I love the idea of the Vacu-flush, but again, back to fully electric dependent.

The best heads would have both electric and manual installed at all times, IMO.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
We need to replace our head and after more than 20 years of using various models with manual pumps, we are considering going electric. I have 2 options available right now. One of them is the Jabsco-12v-Electric-Conversion unit.

What I like about this option is that if it begins to cause problems, I can easily replace it with a matching manual unit. But I'd like to hear from anyone who has used it and what their experience is?

Would you recommend this?

Manny
Manny--

We converted the manual aft head to electric with a Jabsco 37010 Electric Head Conversion Kit:

This change, about 12 years ago, was mostly for the convenience of "the girls" (and occasional guests), and we have found it a very useful, durable, change as long as one does the routine maintenance.

FWIW...

Reactions: Yofy

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
We have a Jabsco electric head in the forward head and a manual in the aft head.

The electric is really great. But, I am on my third one in five years (all Jabscos). But, from what I have seen, not using it wears it out a lot faster than using it. It's nice to have the aft head as back up when there is a problem.

Rather than rebuild, both times, I just replaced the whole unit.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If you're anywhere near the Biloxi MS area, I've got one I'll be glad to sell you. Came with the boat, but I don't think it's very old. I changed to composting heads, so I have it as well as a conventional manual head, also by Jabsco

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
There are two sorts of electric heads: the true electric head (generally like sitting on a garbage disposal) and the conversion that operates the pump with a motor.

In my experience the conversions leave a great deal to be desired - they are complicated, can be fragile, and don't provide an air break between inlet and outlet water.

The true electric heads do have an air break which means you can use fresh water to flush (or, as in my case, switch between fresh and sea water).

My Jabsco Quiet Flush II is eight years old. Most of that time it was in liveaboard service. Other than a routine maintenance rebuild kit every few years it has had no costs and no failures.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't have experience with the conversion kit, but I have three heads, each with an electric jabsco head.

I've toyed with the idea of upgrading them all, but can't really justify the big expense. I love the idea of the Vacu-flush, but again, back to fully electric dependent.

The best heads would have both electric and manual installed at all times, IMO.
FWIW, I've got multiple Vacuflush heads and they've been damned reliable. Way better than I expected, frankly. We don't baby our gear, living aboard with three young kids.

·
BJV
242 Posts
We have lived aboard for 5+ years with a raritan Seaera,
excellent operation, simple install and design. Super easy jocker replacement.
highly recommended.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When we bought our boat it had a Jabsco 37010 head. No idea how old it was then, but we had it another 3-1/2 years before I had to rebuild it. The kit was $50-60 and the job was pretty simple. I think the only problem at the time was that the flush water impeller had swelled up and was binding in its housing. Other than that it's been great. A bit noisy, and your battery has to have a charge, but it does everything you want a head to do with a minimum of fuss. Especially good for non-boating guests.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the responses.
We avoided the idea of electric heads for years because we are trying to keep our systems simple on Yofy. But after years of maintaining a Lagoon 50 that has 5 electric toilets, I have noticed that they have less maintenance than our manual head. And by now with the electrical draw on Yofy so low and our solar panels and wind generator working so well, I'm not concerned about the electricity usage anymore.

Minnewaska 10 years for a working head is not bad at all. We've had 2 manual heads go in that amount of time. An electric and manual head would be optimal for sure. But there's nothing like that available here.

MultiHullGirl Thanks for the offer, but we are half a world away. :)

SVHyLyte and SVAuspicious Thanks for that feedback. The Jabsco Quiet Flush II is exactly my other option and I'll go with that.

hopcar THAT is exactly the conversion kit I was looking at. So you sealed my decision. Thanks.

The Vacuheads look great but they are not available over here.

I can say for sure that any onboard system that isn't being used regularly is going to be trouble. I have a weekly maintenance routine on the Lagoon 50 which includes flushing all 5 toilets several times. And when I do guardiennage for neighbour's boats I always flush their heads. I believe it keeps them working longer.

Anyhow we are liveaboards and that's not an issue :D
Manny

·
Master Mariner
8,859 Posts
Jabsco makes four conversion kits. Avoid this one as it is very noisy.
The others are all pretty good.
You can also reuse your bowl with a Raritan Sea Era conversion kit.
This unit is indeed quite noisy, but that's a small price to pay for an almost bullet proof electric toilet that is a breeze to install. No switches, buttons, timers or valves. Just the correct 2 wires from the breaker to the unit and the plumbing doesn't change a bit. I've been putting them on my boats for over 20 years, without even having to change the impeller on any of them. Should it fail, it takes six s/s bolts and 1 hose to put the manual unit back, maybe 20 minutes. I love these little babies.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Capta, Thanks for the feed back on that conversion kit. Noisy but reliable and easy to install. Good to know.

The noisiest toilets are the ones that use a rubber impeller type pump to supply the flush water. The quietest use diaphragm pumps mounted remotely.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Capta, that was my original thought. I figured that I could always replace the kit back to a manual head quite easily. But I think I'll be able to do that with the Jabsco Quiet Flush II as well.

I've begun setting up the installation and I'll know better once I'm in the thick of things. So far I'm happy with my decision.

Manny

1 - 15 of 15 Posts