SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - we have the standard Jabsco manual head/pump, just put in a new pump last year and recently replaced the joker valve. Noticed the last couple of weeks that it was a bit resistant the first few pumps but working fine on both wet/dry after that. Then yesterday it stopped working - there's no resistance in the pump at all, ie either on the up or down stroke and not drawing in water.

Not sure if there's a connection but wondering if maybe we forced something and broke it. I will probably just replace the pump again, but would be helpful to know what happened as it would have been bad if it happened while we were at anchor for a few days for example...

Any suggestions appreciated -

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds to me that them hose was getting/is clogged up and you have now "blown" the pump
Thanks - that would have been my initial thought, but before it 'broke' it would only give me resistance on the first couple of pumps, after that it worked perfectly fine, taking in water and pumping through with completely normal operation. The first couple of pumps didn't feel like hose blockage, more like a mechanical resistance. I would compare it to when you pump a bike tire and the pump valve isn't quite connected right. Not sure if that helps describe it any better.

·
Registered
Legend 37.5
39 Posts
The C clip was / is at the bottom of the shaft connected to the handle. I remember they upgraded it recently, but don’t know which yours is.

another thing that I’ve had cause what you describe is the wet/dry lever, some are impossible to pump unless the lever is hard over on dry; I have to constantly push ours over. I’m assuming if the little arm inside of that lever were to break then nothing would happen, but not sure if suddenly there would be zero suction.

best way to figure it out is take it apart.

if the pump is shot, throw the whole Jabsco toilet away and buy Raritan. Jabsco rebuild kits are $100 and don’t last. The toilets are cheaply made now with no QC. When ours has a problem it will be tossed for a Raritan.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The flapper thing is most likely clogged or broken, disconnect where raw water connection is, 6 screws.
I put a strainer on the raw water hose just after the seacock, prevents clogging of both the pump and toilet water channels (this prevents nasty smell of dying sea life).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The flapper thing is most likely clogged or broken, disconnect where raw water connection is, 6 screws.
I put a strainer on the raw water hose just after the seacock, prevents clogging of both the pump and toilet water channels (this prevents nasty smell of dying sea life).
Yes, I actually found a YouTube video from the Xylem/Jabsco guys suggesting it’s probably that top gasket. Crossing my fingers, picking one up today and will report back if it works.

·
Registered
Legend 37.5
39 Posts
Please do let us know what you discover. IIRC that piece can be installed upside down, so note the orientation of the old one. Also IIRC there’s a plastic insert that can fall out and also be oriented incorrectly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please do let us know what you discover. IIRC that piece can be installed upside down, so note the orientation of the old one. Also IIRC there’s a plastic insert that can fall out and also be oriented incorrectly.
Ok so
OK so replacing the top gasket fixes the problem 100%. $35 part and an easy replacement. Shocked it was that easy, also mystified at what caused it to fail in the first place. Will be ordering another as a spare.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing obvious but I’m not sure what I was looking for. It looked worn and maybe a little bit creased in one spot but hard to say. In any case I think I can confirm that the resistance we noticed before it gave out was definitely mechanical and not a clog or blockage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts