SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3,146 Posts
Reaction score
I am not seeing the usage of webbing as a jack line at all. Most of the caribeners (sp) / hooks that are attached to tethers are designed specifically to go around lines. Staying secure and Maintaining positive movement are both equal parts of the equation. Round line reduces chafing of the line (hooks can more easily get snagged into webbing) and provides a smooth movement of getting where you want to go.

The later is important - as being able to move quickly is of utmost importance. When you have genoa sheet flogging around and you have someone on the foredeck that can not control it - they need to be able to move FAST to get out of harms way ( Or think of any other numerous situations). I have been in positions where not having freedom of movement made a situation worse.

Secondly, most of that webbing once chafed, cut, fraying etc have a tendancy to part quickly under even minor shock loads. Then you have the UV issue - as I am not aware of many webbings that are UV protected throughout the webbing (the coating maybe but rarely lasts long) and UV damage to webbing is a truly hidden danger and often goes ignored. I can't tell you the number of times I have had webbing fail during my 4X4 expeditions due to UV damaged tow strap webbing or a slight fray suddenly getting loaded up and parting)....

The whole rolling under the foot - the jack line should be fairly taunt and minimal amount of play. There are many other things underfoot on deck that will more likely get in the way of footing.

BTW I echo Marty's comment on not attaching it to the teak hand rails. Those are secured merely by small diameter wood screws and very easily pulled out. Eyebolts with backing plates or attach to cleats, or if you have room to add one more clutch on the cabin top - secure it there (not cam cleats - clutchs like spinlock XTs etc)...

On HG - I use the same lines used for the halyards as it readily available and there is very minimumal stretch. We only run them from the pulpit to the forward head of the mast because routing full length would get in the way of all the other lines, shrouds etc (altyhough I think I will run them now to the cockpit as I didn't think about using a clutch before...)....

At any rate just my random thoughts on the subject...Anything is better than nothing especi8ally working the foredeck where you really need to be secured via centerline of the boat....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.