SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Reaction score
Vega,

Looks like something I was toying with for my boat, but my spreaders are inward along with cabin.

Anyway, Building behind you? Poets Cove, Pender Island, BC? And Kenmore Air Float plane to boot?!?!?!?!

marty

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Reaction score
We were up there the 3rd weekend in June, 18 months ago for a jeanneau owners roundezvous. Nice place, Hope to be up there this yr, had to cancel last yr for various reasons.

I do like how your forward jacklines run, but with my shrouds being inward, and wanting to walk forward it is a PITA for them to be inside. So need to work on that part/thought about where to put them at some point in time.

Marty

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Reaction score
HS,

I have to admit, right now I have "nothing"! Not a good thing in some of the conditions we have been in here in puget sound. I have a padeye I need to install at the bow for up that way. But now need to figure out the best way to run the lines them selves then get some safety lines that will work. I have some older 5/8"? brown 3 twist lines that came with the boat. Single clip. Not sure I would trust them. But then, considering what I have used hanging off of cliffs locally, they are not that bad other than age!

marty

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Reaction score
HS,

The 3 strand lines are for from the harness to the boat jack lines. I could see where the clips could come lose under certain circumstances. Probably better than nothing, but not perfect by todays stds by any means.

I would not use a round line/rope or equal for the actual jackline either, I know to use a webbing of some sort. Going forward from the cockpit is usually easier to walk along the side deck, so the obstruction would be the shrouds in my case. So I can see the use of a 2 biener/equal for the boat end of that part.

I would like to figure something out to a degree, sooner than later, as when it is just my wife and I, I am the one forward. Last Oct, in some 30-40 knot stuff and 3-5' waves, my 22 yr old son was forward, I did not find out until later that his footing was tenuous at best. So something needs to be done. At 40-45F water temps yr around here, you do not have a lot of time before you the MOB is too cold to function.

Vega, where are the jack lines attached on the rear of the cabin? It appears like it is to the teak hand hold/rails. Not the best place from my understanding.

Marty

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Reaction score

So here is the front view of my boat, On the right of pic, or port side of boat, you can see a line running from the cabin top to the bow, ie tackline for AS, I could probably follow this general line from the back o the cabin to the bow, that would leave the jack line out of the way of the hatchs, both forward v-berth for sail changes, and anchor locker.

Does this seem to make sense for this boat? I would then have to go forward on the cabin top, or stop at the shrouds and reclip as I went forward, if the seas are that bad etc.

marty

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Reaction score
Bubb

I too would not worry about the webbing etc used for climbing. The falls one takes off of rocks, will be worst than a fall/slip from a deck. The main thing here, is making sure you gear is safe, and hopefully will not fail.

For me, it is finding good quality tethers at a reasonable price.

Marty

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Reaction score
I'm sure that makes sense if you just fall off the deck in normal weather. I just finished the Fastnet book and they described guys being caught in a wave of green water washing over their boat sounding like a freight train and grabbing guys, binnacles and masts and clearing the deck.
So if someone prefers to use a 2" webbing or a spectra core I personally wouldn't argue with them. I've never experienced force 10+ conditions but I'm betting that the force on a jack line in the right conditions could be significantly more than a 15' fall would produce. If you have a half a ton of water in your pocket it has to make a difference.
But for most of us most of the time anything is better than nothing.
Thinking about my answer later, yes it is possible depending upon the circumstances, that a larger wave washing over a deck, hitting you and you falling could be harder on gear than a rock climber falling say X feet! Not sure what X is, but I would be willing to swag that BOTH sports, could have higher forces than the other, depending upon "what" circumstances you are trying to compare.

With that in mind tho, "WE" as owner operators of our boats, need to know what type of seas, wave action etc we could have as worst conditions in the area we sail. Then if we go to an area with a higher extreme of wave/fall potential, we need to make sure the appropriate gear is up to the task.

So for me in Puget Sound, I would be surprised if one has to worry about the wave factor as compared to say a Volvo 70 or open 60 crew/operator etc in those boats, with speeds in the teens to 20's, even bursts into the 30 knot range, and waves crashing over you. ANy one whom thinks the safety gear for both options needs to be of equal strength to function is probably off base a bit. I could be plenty safe with lighter gear in my worst conditions vs a V70 is their worst conditions.

Like wise climbing, climb a local rock, it is different than climbing Mt Everest. While the gear may look the same, one will need to have appropriate gear for the issues involved.

But for most of use doing coastal cruising, and trying to stay on a boat with lost footing, a lighter wt webbing will probably work just fine, if it has a reasonable breaking strength

marty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.