SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,857 Posts
Reaction score
For all your reservations about using webbing for jacklines due to UV exposure, can we see the tethers you use? UV exposure is UV exposure and does not matter whether is jacklines or tether. Most jackline use Polyester Webbing. Polyester webbing has 2 to 3 times the UV Resistance that nylon webbing has. This is why most jacklines I have seen are Polyester.

There is a lot to be said about NOT having a round line rolling underfoot on wet pitching side deck!

UV resistance is Important but lets think about this a little compared to standing rigging. Standing rigging is exposed 24/7/365 how long does it last?
Jacklines for the average sailor maybe used one a week while racing. Just how much exposure do they really get, unless you leave them rigged all the time.

I have a pair of 10 year old web jacklines that I take with me on every delivery I make. Many times new boat owner don't know what jacklines are or I come to boats where jacklines were to short. Anyway, they are just as strong and in good shape today as they were with I bought them 10 years ago.

· Registered
5,857 Posts
Reaction score
That said, Jacklines and tethers are not expected to be highly loaded or to take huge dynamic loads so tubing suitable for climbing appliations should be more than adequate.
Midlife, I had the occasion to be thrown off a boat several years ago as a result of a collision. It that time I did not a harness on, however it did reinforce to me the need for strong jackline and tethers and harness. You take a 220 pound Man and throw him or have him fall the 6 feet length of a tether you do have some shock loads involved.

Yes, I know that I have strong opinions regarding this subject!

· Registered
5,857 Posts
Reaction score
Does anyone clip harness tethers to aluminum toerails. Thinking more for when in the cockpit....not for going forward. Wondering about that vs padeyes in this area.

Thisisus
Islander 32
Mobile AL
I never thought it is a good idea to clip on a rail or life line. The idea of tethers is to keep you on board. It is better to clip on to a center point in the Cockpit. My boat has a 10 + beam. This way with a 6 ft tether even if I go over a life line I am not going to hit the water and be dragged, as I have only 1 extra foot of tether. I would be dangling about the hight of the toe rail maybe a little higher.

· Registered
5,857 Posts
Reaction score
Mid, I don't don't know nothing about no climbing.:D So if you trust the webbing for climbing, I would agree it would work for jacklines. I agree also that stitched loops being the weak link.

Even though the jacklines I have for my boat do have stitched loops, they have the extra length that I run from bow cleat to the stern cleat and tie then off with cleat hitches. So far no failures!:laugher

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.