SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing the Jamestown distributors catalog that came a while back I noticed that they now sell a brand of bottom paint I've never heard of before: "Total Boat".
In particular they offer a Total Boat Underdog bottom paint that sells for $80/gallon. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried this paint?

Also, they offer a Total Boat Jd Select bottom paint for $110/gallon. Anyone tried this one?

It seems like this is their "house brand". I'm pretty sure that the WM CPP bottom paint I've been using is made by Petit so I wonder if anyone knows what company actually makes the Total Boat offerings that Jamestown is selling?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
240+ views and nobody has used these products before?
Could this be a brand new product line introduced just this year?
Bump.

·
Barquito
3,678 Posts
OK, from my googling, I think this is the same stuff as the Aquagard products.
I haven't ever used the stuff but here is some discussion: (I think they were using the water based stuff)

Opinions on water based ablative antifouling paint?

I think Jamestown used to sell Aquagard. Maybe just a re-label job. I could be off on some of this... been sniffing too much bottom paint.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your sleuthing Barquito.
A re-branding makes some sense.
Not sure what was wrong with the name "Aquaguard" but some MBA graduate got paid to come up with a new brand name.
I'm not convinced though as Jamestown is still selling Aquaguard paints on their website.
???

·
Registered
355 Posts
Caleb, we haven't used the Total Boat bottom paint, but have used their Total Boat teak product and have had (so far) good results with it.

Not the same, I know, but seems like a good product line.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks MMR - good to know that the teak on your Irwin is looking good. I hope all the rest of yours & Chuckles' projects go smoothly as our warmer season approaches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Totalboat bottom paints are made by Bluewater Paints. I will be getting the Totalboat Underdog this season sailing on the Long Island Sound and docking up the Branford River. Since I haul out every season I can let you know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used the 80 buck a bottom paint last year from Jamestown. First off let it be known I feel all bottom paints are as bad as the next with that being said last season was the worst I have ever seen in the Tiverton Basin as far as the hair growing on the bottom. The guy on the mooring next to mine was scrubbing just as often as I and he used the allegedly best anti fungus bla bla paint. I asked the manger of the yard what he was seeing and he said because of an EPA change in the paints, there are no stand out paints anymore, but thats boat yard talk. The one thing I did notice was the lack of barnacles, the least I had seen compared to others in the yard. Go figure? So I'd have to say the 80 buck paint is just as bad as the most expensive. Thats not counting submarine paint I wish I could get me some of that!
Oh a side note when I bought the paint Jamestown had this deal that with the gallon you get a roller a pan and suit gloves I think even a handle all that included for the 80 bucks. The roller was a 3/8 nap which I think was a mistake to use. I have always used those foam rollers like the West ones I think the extra roughness made it easier for the hair to adhere to the bottom and a lot more difficult to scrub. I'm going to have to sand it baby bottom smooth soon as the weather breaks.

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
I used the 80 buck a bottom paint last year from Jamestown. First off let it be known I feel all bottom paints are as bad as the next with that being said last season was the worst I have ever seen in the Tiverton Basin as far as the hair growing on the bottom. The guy on the mooring next to mine was scrubbing just as often as I and he used the allegedly best anti fungus bla bla paint. I asked the manger of the yard what he was seeing and he said because of an EPA change in the paints, there are no stand out paints anymore, but thats boat yard talk. The one thing I did notice was the lack of barnacles, the least I had seen compared to others in the yard. Go figure? So I'd have to say the 80 buck paint is just as bad as the most expensive. Thats not counting submarine paint I wish I could get me some of that!
Oh a side note when I bought the paint Jamestown had this deal that with the gallon you get a roller a pan and suit gloves I think even a handle all that included for the 80 bucks. The roller was a 3/8 nap which I think was a mistake to use. I have always used those foam rollers like the West ones I think the extra roughness made it easier for the hair to adhere to the bottom and a lot more difficult to scrub. I'm going to have to sand it baby bottom smooth soon as the weather breaks.
I think the only major change in marine bottom paints is that BASF stopped making the anti slime additive. There is talk of going water based, but that has yet to be implemented at least here on the east coast. I am not sure why BASF stopped producing Igarol, but I don't think it was due to the EPA, but more a decision that was made based on profits. This should not effect the lower end paints as this was an ingredient that was only used in the higher end paints. It was available some places last year, but ran out. I think you may have been experiencing more a greater growth year as it does seem to vary from year to year, due to changes in currents and water temperature. Your neighbor may have gotten the stuff without Igarol if he was late getting the paint or happened to get the "fresher" cans.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thats what I was saying that the growth this year was a peak year. I also felt what I was told was hear say, all I know for a fact was the guy on the mooring next to me didn't fair any better than I at over twice the cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts