SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should we or shouldn't we is the question.

Now my wife will be off Jan and Feb from her part time job. Our income will be down to my SS. I am thinking of us just cruising those two months to save on some of our cost.

Boat.

1982 Starwind 22 swing keel. She is set up for us to cruise as I have refitted her. We have VHF, GPS, new halyards, Charts of the Texas coast, depth finder, 9 gallons of fuel, solar shower, porta potty, and the list goes on.

OK I know this is a small boat but we live in a converted school bus that I built the interior in. So we are use to being close.

We are also learning to sail. Now tell me what you think of us doing this on the Texas coast for 2 months.

David

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Do you have to commit to the full 2 months? Why not just try it for a couple of weeks? Then extend if you both like it.
It is one thing to do it in May...another in January. It is certainly do-able...but I'm not sure how enjoyable it will be for you.

·
Roadkillibus Texanis
1,602 Posts
What part of Texas? Upper or lower coast? I'd head south. Carry more than 9 gallons. Never lose that wife. She must really really love you . . . you lucky man!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, Cam makes a lot of sense... go for a couple of weeks... if you like it—keep going. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I apologize for not replying sooner. Thanks for the input.

We could do a week or two and not get to far from the marina. Then head down the coast if the weather stays good and we are having fun. The wife would enjoy spending a couple of days just wandering the island over at the Army Hole.

If the weather keeps going like it has it would not be enjoyable at all.

·
45.63N 122.67W
50 Posts
Not sure where you're intending to sail, being a NorthWesterner, I checked out Galveston and thought I'd love those winds and temps right now. Including the rain. Its going to get close to the record low of 6 degrees F tonight set in 1924 up here. I'd be quite happy to have the ability to take a mini coastal cruise in those winds.

From another POV, does the bus still run? If you're really looking to cut costs, fire her up and hit BLM land for a while. I recall being legal to stay for up to 30 days at any particular BLM location. That'll be less expensive if you pack your food, than coastal cruising, paying transient dock fees and eating out (assuming you won't be able to store 2 months worth of food) on the 22'.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep the bus runs great. BLM land down here is not easy to come by like back in Montana. 5 miles to the gallon is a whole lot more expensive that wind.

No we couldn't carry enough supplies for 2 months. We don't eat out or do bars so transient fee would be at the very min. Most places I have in mind to resupply we can anchor out and dinghy in. Walk a couple of blocks to the store and dinghy back to the boat. Even the dock fees down in this part are not all that bad compared to the rest of the country.

Come on down we should be back up in the 70's by Thursday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts