SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to ask for any thoughts or suggestions regarding a transatlantic sail (from Turkey to the Caribbean) in January. We will be sailing a 47' Catamaran.

Thank you for your assistance.

·
1,000 Posts
CAm is wrong...PERFECT TIMING!!!!

Good time...bring an umbrella and 2 or 3 EPIRBS...buy a life raft and then come here tell us how it opened....

Please try to sail south as soon as you get to Portugal...our SAR are busy that time of the year saving the fishing fleets, as they really need to go out now and venture in North Atlantic at that time of the year...so they can make money to feed their families...

It will be a good ride...especially in a Catamaran..you will know a different meaning to the word "Portuguese trade winds"..

IF you get to the Caribben..tell us how it went....

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Dude, don't listen to these chuckleheads. They don't know squat. They don't sail. You're insane for even thinking about it.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Actually, I think your timing is fine...provided you're leaving TURKEY in January. Take your time crossing the Med, and by the time you get to Gibraltar, it should be about the right time to cross the Atlantic.... say April or so... ;) That gives you three months or so to explore the Med... Crete, Greece, Italy, Southern France, Spain, Portugal, and such...

I would like to ask for any thoughts or suggestions regarding a transatlantic sail (from Turkey to the Caribbean) in January. We will be sailing a 47' Catamaran.

Thank you for your assistance.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
Jibaro welcome to Sailnet I see this is your first post. I am sure your question is appreciated, even by the moderator.:rolleyes: It would seem better to ask a quesiton here and hopefully take the advice that is offered rather than become another sad news article in a couple of months. Most members, myself included, do love to read and learn from trips gone bad.:) Perhaps you would like to volunteer some more information about your experience and vessel.

Where is that student that wanted to do a documentary last week? From what others have indicated this could be the adventure he is looking for.:D

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Cam is wrong. January is great time to cross the Atlantic. However don't do in one hop. Stops can be made at Newfoundland, Greenland, and Iceland. Winter rocks there!!!!!

As Cam said, Wait!!!!!!
I think it would be easier to come in low and with the equatorial current. Go back the high route. ;-)

Surface Currents in the Atlantic Ocean

·
Registered
599 Posts
It is my understanding that December/January generally is considered a good time to transit from the Canaries to the Windward Isles via the trade-wind route, after the threat of hurricane development is over. But this would mean leaving Turkey well before January.

You need to study some resources such as the Atlas of Pilot Charts for the North Atlantic and a guide like Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes,Ocean Passages and Landfalls by Rod Heikell and Andy O’Grady, or The Atlantic Crossing Guide by by Anne Hammick and Gavin McLaren revised by John Lawson.

Good Luck

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
atlantic east to west passage

i made this trip leaving spain the first of november on a 42 ft vagabond. stopped at gibralter and had a strong east wind push us through strait & down the coast. stopped at the canaries before heading for antigua. the autopilot quit a day out & we hand steered for 22 days . we had 6 aboard so 2 hours at the wheel was easy per watch. we had 20 ft swells from a storm in the north atlantic & broached 3 times when the rudder came out of the water. we got the spinnaker halyard wrapped in the genny & had to go up to the top to get it loose, but on the whole it was a good passage.:)

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Jibaro welcome to Sailnet I see this is your first post. I am sure your question is appreciated, even by the moderator.:rolleyes:
FarCry...maybe I am reading this wrong, but are you suggesting that I did not take Jibaro's post seriously? I can assure you I did. January is not a month I would choose to cross the Atlantic. As I said a few months later would be better...no earlier than the end of March and April would be better.

Jibaro...I did not notice this was your first post so I do welcome you aboard and wish you good luck with your trip. As SD says...maybe January is not a bad time to begin to make your way across the Med...but I rather doubt that unless you are going to make a series of discrete hops when a weather window presents itself.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
That was not my intent at all Cam, but I do see how it could be read that way. It was a lame attempt to gently prod you for not saying welcome before telling the OP Wrong Time of Year!! Wait a few months! I hold you to a higher standard than most. Are you tired from doing a sea rescue or something.:D

I absolutely thought your answer was serious.

·
Splashed
572 Posts
Mid to late November

November is the right time to leave the Canaries or Cape Verde Islands, if You're bound for the Caribbean. If you're going back to Europe from the Caribbean, leave before mid may. I believe the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers (ARC) is leaving late November. However you need to be in the Canaries NOW :cool: So you should probably wait until next year? :)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
As SD says...maybe January is not a bad time to begin to make your way across the Med...but I rather doubt that unless you are going to make a series of discrete hops when a weather window presents itself.
Precisely. The Med is not much more hospitable during winter than the Atlantic, maybe less so.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My father will tell you that the worst passage of his circumnavigation was the Canaries to the Caribbean in December.....

David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank You for Your Suggestions

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Perhaps a bit more background about the potential crossing might be useful.

We have been searching for a new boat for about two years and finally found one that meets our specifications. The boat is located in Turkey and we live in the Caribbean. We hope to close the transaction in December.

After that, it seems our options are to pay tens of thousands of dollars to ship the boat (which will not arrive for over 6 months), pay tens of thousands to keep it in the Med for several months, or sail it home (even though the weather is not ideal).

Obviously, if it is not safe to take the southern transatlantic route in January, we will simply have to bite the bullet and pay.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Welcome, Jibaro! These guys will eventually give you some sound advice. Hang in there.

BTW - how did the transaction in Turkey go? Was it difficult to get everything together (e.g. - survey, payment, etc.)? That sounds like an adventure in and of itself.

·
1,000 Posts
Jibaro, I have a very good solution for you.

In the coast of Portugal, almost half way from St. Vincent cape, to Lisbon, there is a small marina called Sines.

The prices there are EXTREMELY low, as they are a marina owned by the city, not private.

SEE HERE

They are very cheap and a lot of ocean crossers leave their boats there off season.

The place is rather nice, too, should you want to spend a few days in a calm fishing town in Portugal. it's 1.5 hours drive from Lisbon.

I'd give them a call and ask for prices...just to give you an idea, for a 42 footer now, they charge 12 Euros, and less in December all the way to April.

More sites:

HERE

SINES MARINA AND TOWN

Alternatively, my marina Cascais is perfect but more expensive..check their site and see the rates for you boat HERE if you leave it in Cascais..I'll take a look at here every now and then..

MARINAS IN PORTUGAL CLICK

If you want send me a pm, and I'll get a quote from them..all our marinas include water, power, light and free waste tank removal.

Here is a view of the harbour...VAl, Tommy, Chuckles, Mary all know it...ask them..best fish in the World..ask them...

They are so small and have so few boats, they will gladly receive you and possibly give you a discount..

Once the window opens...you are 3 days from MAdeira and a few more to the Canaries...can't beat that

Alex

·
19,489 Posts
Good idea, nice gesture and kind offer, Giu,.. as Simon would say, "Goodonya"!

·
Don Radcliffe
398 Posts
The passage from the Canaries to the Caribbean is fine any time between the end of November and the first of June. I've left the first of December and the first of April with no problems. However, getting across the Med and down to the Canaries in the winter is tough. There are days on the Med in winter when the big ships hide from the weather. You could probably leave Turkey about the first of April, and even then you will have some rough days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts